Rear Spoiler

john-wingnut

Hi people

Just purchased the add on rear spoiler from stafford audi.

Just wondering: when it says drill 6mm holes, im taking that to mean that you drill through the recessed holes on the add on spoiler through to and into the existing spoiler???

John

Hiya John
Yes, you are correct, just drill into the recesses and pop the supplied screws and caps in. I have fitted this soiler to my car and it really looks the part. BTW, these screws are plastic and really only cosmetic. You can secure them with urethane or hot glue.
Good luck.

That is a brilliant price - they were nearly £200 originally.

However, I've never understood why you'd want to put more downforce at the back of the car, when it's front wheel drive!

As far as I know, it is merely aesthetic.

Cheers,

Mike

Correct, as these cars already have a slightly larger spoiler, which won't fit the profile of the add-on PU one.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton makes a good point - adding downforce to the back of a FWD car is really not a good idea - just makes the front of the car go light at high speed giving you less not more grip!
However, I think the aero intention of the A2 rear spoiler is not to create downforce but to reduce drag by making a cleaner flow of air. I'm guessing, but if this larger spoiler was fitted to the 3L 1.2TDi they must have done it purely for aero benefit in terms of lower drag therefore giving better fuel consumption? The 1.2 TDi has a drag coefficient of 0.25 doesn't it?

hi all as i understand it the rear spoiler is there to "spoil" the airflow over the car. this then stops the car producing lift at higher speeds. if you look at the profile of a car it looks very much like a section of a plane wing.so as air passes over and under the car it produces lift , audi possibly think this is more aparent on the fsi (higher top speed-on paper) 1.2tdi (lighter weight) plus undercar spoiler.
as a side note my other car has active aerodynamics-lowers front spoiler and raises rear spoiler at 50 mph. many people have said it does nothing.so one of the owners club members put his car in a wind tunnel to try it out. the result no downforce BUT NO LIFT EITHER. hence it does do something.
now back to a2 spoilers anyone seen one of these in the flesh
http://www.autosave-scotland.co.uk/product/Audi_A2_Spoiler__Without_Brake_Light_455_5_0_0.html
it fits in a completly diferent place!

aint seen one in the flesh, but it would look stupid, with the other spoiler above it!!

On another note, have not been able to fit add on spoiler as it does not seem to go on my existing spoiler!!

Cant get it to sit flush with the glass.

Any ideas???

What the **** is that not even seen any of them on the german forum it just doesn't look right, thats worse than the shopping trolley handles the Chavs put on the SAXO's lol

Cheers Phil

as a side note my other car has active aerodynamics-lowers front spoiler and raises rear spoiler at 50 mph. many people have said it does nothing.so one of the owners club members put his car in a wind tunnel to try it out. the result no downforce BUT NO LIFT EITHER. QUOTE said:
May I ask what your other car is? :)

Cheers

SARGE

hi sarge of course you can ask mitsubishi 3000 gto twin turbo mk1(pop up lights) 4wd,4ws(only high speed), 324bhp, manual, full leather, climate,active suspension,active aero,18"O.Z super tourismo's, eiback springs. i have owned it for 9 years!!! its colour is bright red just like my a2 honest. i was a member of the owners group but stoped when they got all shirty about charging members £'s just so they can access the web site. all the best mikee

That is a brilliant price - they were nearly £200 originally.

Mike
Some Germans (about 5) bought from this dealer from the UK.

;)

But I think you can need any downforce you get at 110miles per hour on German Autobahn;)
There is enough downforce in the front as well. But this spoiler is more cosmetic but not only. But also great is the projektzwo-spoiler, I got.

smaller, bigger spoiler. The bigger spoiler is mounted higher: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=65709&postcount=2
attachment.php

Last edited:
hi sarge of course you can ask mitsubishi 3000 gto twin turbo mk1(pop up lights) 4wd,4ws(only high speed), 324bhp, manual, full leather, climate,active suspension,active aero,18"O.Z super tourismo's, eiback springs. i have owned it for 9 years!!! its colour is bright red just like my a2 honest. i was a member of the owners group but stoped when they got all shirty about charging members £'s just so they can access the web site. all the best mikee

Some beast you got there matey :)

The A2's spoiler is purely to reduce drag, most cars hardly generate any downforce, let a lone a small hatchback. Aerodynamic downforce would increase drag and resistence, and is only effective at higher speed, so no chance on the A2. I believe the other desired effect is also to line the air flow so it sweeps away standing water on the rear screen, hence we don't have a rear wiper. But I'll leave you to think how effective that is :)

Exactly how effective is the larger/higher spoiler on the 1.2 and 1.6, I don't know, I guess there must be a difference or they won't put it on the 3L. And I think the extra spoiler is purely cosmetic to go with the bodykit styling.

Back