Rear spring knocking

putyourmittenson

ab337563130264884635e1a4142a3d72.jpg

Heard a knocking from the rear yesterday and discovered this today! Anyone know what could be causing this?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the spring and the top / bottom stoppers are in tact then I would look more towards the top of the shock absorbers for wear and tear. The top mounts can deteriorate over time and are easily replaced. When the orange buffers split they do make a sort of tapping noise but not a knock.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers
Dave:)

I just changed my lower spring dampers / mounts. One had completely deteriorated and the other had about 30% of its original material left. Cost about 23€ from the dealer for both rubbers.

ab337563130264884635e1a4142a3d72.jpg

Heard a knocking from the rear yesterday and discovered this today! Anyone know what could be causing this?

Cheers

Are these lowered springs?

It looks like it has shortened even more with age and so is not fully located in place?

Steve B

No not lowering springs, they look to be OE, although not 100%. All rubbers are intact and look good. The solution it seems has been to rotate the spring 180degrees and it now matches the other side and doesn't touch when fully compressed.

No not lowering springs, they look to be OE, although not 100%. All rubbers are intact and look good. The solution it seems has been to rotate the spring 180degrees and it now matches the other side and doesn't touch when fully compressed.

Unfortunately the springs do rotate and find the same position after use.

They are sitting like the spring has broken and perhaps lost a complete coil (normally at the bottom of the spring)

A broken spring is not always obvious, depending on where it breaks.

Have you checked the gap between the top of the tyre to the wheel arch on both sides and comparing that?

The spring may have weakened (if not broken) but it is definitely not sitting right, Perhaps you might be better off getting a pair of rear spriongs from Auidi?

Steve B

If you look at the springs they may well still have the original colour code dots on them. These dots should face inwards towards the centre of the car on both springs. Also the top of the spring "locates" into the top black rubber stopper. It can only "sit in" and lock in one way so it my have popped out. :confused:

I have taken apart both sides and both springs are the same size so don't believe the spring to weakened, at least no more than the other which isn't making contact.

It's all reassembled and wheels back on the car so going to see how it gets on.

Back