Rear windscreen replacement

Annie

Can anyone help. My rear windscreen was replaced after an accident in the automatic carwash (too traumatic to discuss). The rear windscreen has been replaced, but has left a gap between the windscreen and the glass open sky roof section. The gap is about 1/4". I queried this with the garage which repaired my car (insurance approved garage) They were very evasive and not much help at all. Can someone let me know if there is a visible rubber seal that should be there or how wide this gap should be. I can see the hinges of the boot through the gap which I'm sure is not right or is there any room for adjustment on the boot hinges? I am a new member to this forum and only bought my A2 this year after saving for 2 years, and can you believe I have only owned it for 3 months!! Please help.

Hi Annie, you'll probably find that not many people here have Open Sky, so won't be able to check for you.

I'll have a squint at mine tomorrow (when it's light) and let you know - my rear screen and Open Sky are as per factory, so should give a fair indication.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Annie, welcome to the A2oc
Your A2 is fine. I have checked my car and the gap between the back edge of the open sky and the tailgate glass is also 1/4"

Cheers Spike

Thanks for that Spike. Now I feel at ease. I have searched the car parks and streets of London for an A2 with an open sky system to no avail.

Just out of interest why would I not find many open sky owners on this site? I know Skipton01 made this statement, but I thought you might know the answer to this question and unlock the secret. I know..., you can tell I'm GREEN!

You're not alone Annie - we've got open sky as well.

On a side note, when I saw piccies of our original A2 after it had been repaired, the boot & open sky looked to be at a funny angle to each other - possibly due to a dodgy repair. Worth looking out for if you buy a second hand A2 with open sky.

Hi Annie
The Open Sky was an expensive option (Almost £800) and so most people opted for climate control instead of the sunroof. I would guess only about 5% of the cars sold have it.
The Club is here to help members enjoy their cars so don't be afraid to ask questions - as well as sharing your experiences of A2 ownership if you wish.

Cheers Spike

Hiya - as promised (even though Spike got there first) I've had a look at the gap between my rear screen and the Open Sky.

It's about the 1/4 inch mark all around, just like yours - however, I have to really look to see the hinges.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Annie I have open sky tok me a while to find it though the gap on mine is the same as yours,just a note that I have put some silicon spray on the rubber seal so it doesnt make that clanging sound when opening as the rubber comes away form the glass to lessen th estrain on the nylon motor teeth

Regards

Christophe

Back