Rear wiper motor brushes

67boris

A2OC Donor
Yes, I know A2 hasn't rear wiper, it's for the wife's 2002 A4 Avant. Just wondering if anyone here has an idea
if brushes are sold separately as spare? Everything else looks good so I'd give it a try before getting a new one.
Boris

Yes, I know A2 hasn't rear wiper, it's for the wife's 2002 A4 Avant. Just wondering if anyone here has an idea
if brushes are sold separately as spare? Everything else looks good so I'd give it a try before getting a new one.
Boris
Hi Boris, do you know for sure that it needs brushes? Could it be that it has a bad earth (as many A2s have)
easily checked by running a wire from an earth to the wiper motor body?

sorty if you already know you need brushes.

Steve B

Hi Steve, in all honesty, I did not check that, because both earth points on the rear door look squeaky clean. This car has been officially imported to Cyprus by a local dealer. That does not mean earth is ok, so I will check that as well. Brushes so look really worn and springs can not push hard enough to make a good contact. The commutator, I think that's what it's called, where the brushes contact the rotor, is covered in black soot, sort to speak.

Thank you for the input, sometimes it's the simplest things that cause problems, and proper diagnostics actually starts from obvious and simple to more complicated.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes on.

Boris

It does sound like it is probably the brushes then, but no harm in checking.

I know that many A2 owners have spent a lot of money buying new wiper motors and having them fitted, when it was just an earth issue, similarly (but more common) the starter motor earth has cause many people to buy new starter motors unnecessarily.

Good luck.

Steve B

Everything you said it's true, but here in Cyprus is very different climate and my wife's A4 is here since new, this is why I didn't check the earth first.

Now, let me take this chance to thank you for all unbelievable dedication to the club and forum as I had learned a lot from your posts, and saved even more by doing it myself, that I wouldn't be able to do without you and the club. I think this is the best club, people are really helpful and I'm glad you're still with us. I was following your problem with some people outside the club, and for what it's worth, they are not worth wasting your time with. You had a lot of support from people here and I just want to put my name on that list.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Hi Boris,

Thank you very much for that. It is great to hear feedback like that and I really appreciate it.

Steve B

You're welcome, the truth should be said out loud.
Update on the A4, in the end, all I needed to do is to clean the commutator. I did this first as the motor was open since yesterday and I needed to close it anyway to check it. It's been cleaned, mechanism lubricated and it's working for the moment. I did order a new one as the brushes are really gone.

Regards,

Boris

Good Job!
How come you have a worn out rear wiper in Cyprus? Cyprus, the Island in the sun, 326 days a year!

Excelllent observation steaman, it's a design fault in my opinion. Rear wiper on 2002 A4 Avant has a water path for the jets throug the shaft. There is a seal that not necessarily failed, just lets a drop of water each time in the mechanism, it causes internals to rust slowly (it is partially steel and the rest is plastic). Rust buildup over 15 years leads to increased resistance to the movement causing the motor to work harder, hence the increased wear on the brushes and soot buildup on the commutator.
As I said it is working for now, but it will not be for long as the brushes are at their last.

Boris

Back