Redex Diesel Treatment...

pezza

:confused: Has anyone tried Redex diesel treatment? I bought a six pack from Costco last week but I'm a bit nervous about using it. Redex claim the product helps clean the engine, injectors etc., wondered if the claims were true before trying the product.

I used Redex petrol treatment years ago in my old Mini Cooper "S"... I used to have a shot with every gallon, which then cost 1p a go (old penny) everyone I knew with cars used to swear by it!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian
Redex still has a good reputation so i'd have no hesitation in using it. I think the claims for all fuel additives are a bit exagerated but it will keep the engine internals cleaner if nothing else, and not do any harm.

Cheers Spike

Millers Diesel Plus...

I have but three things to say to you..............

1. Miller's

2. Diesel

3. Plus

Thanks for your comment Maersk... I've taken it on board. I found this link http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45176 but still remain a little confused. reading through the feedback I found one that comments on VW saying in their handbook, not to use additives in diesel engines... but OK in petrol cars??? :confused:

Maybe I should check first with Audi (do you think?)

Cheers again,

Ian :)

Redex... Show your age!

Hi Ian
Redex still has a good reputation so i'd have no hesitation in using it. I think the claims for all fuel additives are a bit exagerated but it will keep the engine internals cleaner if nothing else, and not do any harm.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike,

I never heard a bad thing said about Redex years ago, but more recently I hear a lot for and against various products, which tends to confuse the market. I wondered if the car companies are in the oil product manufacturer's pockets... and are responsible for spreading the rumours.

Cheers,

Ian

When I had my dodgy fuel episode a few years back, Stockport Audi actually recommended I used Redex diesel for a few tankfulls, just to ensure that no traces would block the injectors.

I did use it and all was well, but Millers is good too - it basically turns normal diesel into V-power (no inference is intended here with any Shell product, and I'm not saying that V-power contains Millers Diesel Plus).

Cheers,

Mike

Convinced...

Thanks for your comments mike... reassuring as usual! :) I'll follow your advice and try my purchase. I was considering taking it back, but now I'll put it to the test.

Cheers again,

Ian

Last edited:
update...

When I had my dodgy fuel episode a few years back, Stockport Audi actually recommended I used Redex diesel for a few tankfulls, just to ensure that no traces would block the injectors.

I did use it and all was well, but Millers is good too - it basically turns normal diesel into V-power (no inference is intended here with any Shell product, and I'm not saying that V-power contains Millers Diesel Plus).

Cheers,

Mike

Took you advice mike and had a fill today (39 litres) didn't notice a great deal at first, but after approximately 45 miles I found the car didn't smoke anything like it used to, on acceleration during a fast pull away. Maybe it's a mind thing, but the engine seems quieter too.

How long did you use the product for?

Cheers,

Ian

I put double strength in for 2 tanks and then single strength for another 2 tanks, but bear in mind this was after severe fuel contamination. Just use single strength for the next 4 tankfuls.

Cheers,

Mike

Fuel Cleaners

Nothing wrong with Redex or Millers, I've used both in the past.

But, my friendly (and very good) local village garage proprietor recommended "something better" - ACP fuel cleaner, only available to the trade!! so I'm told (yeah, right!).

I've found that it can also be obtained from some main dealers, auto factors and ... ebay (and your friendly local garage proprietor, so it's not quite so unobtainable). Enough of this rant; the results are noticeable... more mpg.

Martin;)

Temp use?

Nothing wrong with Redex or Millers, I've used both in the past.

But, my friendly (and very good) local village garage proprietor recommended "something better" - ACP fuel cleaner, only available to the trade!! so I'm told (yeah, right!).

I've found that it can also be obtained from some main dealers, auto factors and ... ebay (and your friendly local garage proprietor, so it's not quite so unobtainable). Enough of this rant; the results are noticeable... more mpg.

Martin;)

:) Thanks for your input Martin... you say that "you have used it in the past", I assume yours was for short term use too. Just wondered if the engine would incur any problems by using any of the products full time?

Cheers,

Ian

(addition) Just found this pdf file... http://www.shieldautomotive.co.uk/PDF/ProFuel_Petrol_A4_sheetB.pdf

Last edited:
Fuel additives

By "used it in the past", I meant that I have moved on to another fuel treatment that I now use between services. I used Redex only briefly (maybe 5/6 months) as I then found a local supplier of Millers products which I used regularly for a few years (I used their engine oils too - good stuff) but then he stopped stocking it!!

A friend then put me onto Cybersizzle (Google it for their website). It is relatively new to the UK but, I have been using it regularly for more than 2 years now in my '53 plate Volvo estate (2.4 litre, 5 cylinder, auto, petrol engine - gorgeous) and have averaged more than 32mpg (25% town: 75% open road) the official average figure!! is 28mpg, so I'm well pleased.

I've also been using it in my A2 TDi since I bought it about 2 months ago and intend to use Cybersizzle in it regularly. I used ACP when I bought it and it will be used at each service, mainly to keep the injectors clean. The A2 is used for my daily trek to my new place of work and back (90% good 'A' roads: 10% traffic jams!!). With over 2000 miles to date, I have averaged 65.2mpg - and, I have found that my engine bay undertray is missing!!!!! - but that's another story.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards
Martin;)

Thanks Martin, very helpful, interesting and informative.
I bought 6 bottles of Redex two weeks ago from Costco (lost the bill so can't add to Alan's thread). Only put some in with a full fill of diesel a couple of days ago after some advice from (our Saviour) Skipton.
I've found a difference in the engine by using it over a few miles... but wondered how long I should keep putting it in with the fuel. In the old days we always used Redex with every fill of petrol. (I think this was probably the only one of it's kind at that time)

I'm going to check out Cybersizzle website, sounds interesting stuff. Handy advice as usual from the A2oc members.

Cheers again,

Ian

I honestly can't think of a reason (apart from the obvious cost) why you shouldn't use Redex all the time, Ian.

It's comforting to hear that you're seeing a difference already in the engine, it should get even better with regular use as it cleans up the injectors. Having used ACP, Cybersizzle and, Ecotek's PowerBoost yesterday my engine is much smoother and more responsive - it will be even quieter when the undertray finally arrives!

I think you're right about the old days, obviously Redex was well ahead of its time; I can remember my father using it - 1 shot to the gallon, if memory serves, from a large red conical can with a squirty thing on top! He always used Castrol; was Redex their product?

Cheers
Martin ;)

Redex price...

Hi Martin,

Getting back to the price I paid at Costco, just found the bill... it was for 4 x 250ml bottles (not 6) and I paid £9.76 including VAT, which works out at £2.44 per bottle. each 250ml is sufficient to treat 2 full (50ltr) tanks is the information given, plus it's a new "high-tech formula".
According to the pack, it says "a Honeywell car care product" www.holtsauto.com although I'm in the same thinking as you on the Castrol idea. I remember the red can with the squirty thing on top at the side of the petrol pump which was 1p (old penny) a shot with every gallon of petrol that we were paying 5 bob a gallon for. (25 new pence!) We never had it so good!!! :D

I was getting quite a lot of bluey grey smoke on acceleration, which no longer happens. The engine seems quieter and smoother, and I recently had a re-map which has made an incredible difference to the rocket power in higher gears... like sh*t off a shovel! Very pleased.

Cheers,

Ian :)

Last edited:
Cleaner injectors...

hmmmmm

it does sound fun but

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/fuelsaverscams.shtml

maybe not.
N

:) Nice link... My aim wasn't to save on fuel or increase my MPG. But to clean the injectors for a smoother, quieter engine, and to get rid of my acceleration smoke. This was the intention of the experiment and I'm pleased to say that I'm quite impressed with Redex... It's done pretty well all I wanted it to. I got a pretty good deal from Costco at £2.44 per 250ml, bottle as I checked Halfords and Screwfix to find them both selling it for £4.88 per 250ml.

I do see your point with the so called miracle fuelsaver scam products :D

Cheers,

Ian

Cheers

Back