Rejuvenating black sills

Just washed and polished my silver A2 as it's coming up to 20 years old. The bits that always looks a bit scruffy are the black sills - any recommendation for making them look smart again ?
Many thanks
Trevor

Just washed and polished my silver A2 as it's coming up to 20 years old. The bits that always looks a bit scruffy are the black sills - any recommendation for making them look smart again ?
Many thanks
Trevor
I've been researching the problem of fading black plastic trim on my Land Rover Freelander and the best solution I've seen, other than proprietary products from Halfords, is furniture/teak oil. It appears easy to apply and gave good results in a YouTube video I found.

The paint will probably last as long as the decent black plastic rejuvenators, and will need to be reapplied relatively frequently.

Another vote for GTechniq C4, has done a great job on plastic and rubber trims on various cars

A thorough clean with a citrus solution, then panel wipe first before application ensures nice and clean for best results.

I use

Will that not just get stone chipped and flake off?
It may well do, depending on the road conditions you use, mine still look good after a year, every time I wash the car, I use a back to black spray on the seals & front plastic parts & it looks good again.

It may well do, depending on the road conditions you use, mine still look good after a year, every time I wash the car, I use a back to black spray on the seals & front plastic parts & it looks good again.
Since treating mine with the garage therapy stuff I've not redone it in 2 months . Seems to last quite well and I'm doing 1k miles per month in it .

Reactions: Ami
I’ve tried loads of different black colour restorers, the best I’ve found is Polytrol, the sample is only £6 including delivery and lasts for ages, makes all my A2 parts look new even after a lot of washes.

Andy

I’ve tried loads of different black colour restorers, the best I’ve found is Polytrol, the sample is only £6 including delivery and lasts for ages, makes all my A2 parts look new even after a lot of washes.

Andy
Polytrol is a deep penetrating solvent that contains silicon..... CS owners need to think carefully about using on wheel arches as it may cause a reaction should you repaint the arches black. Sills tend not to be repainted in the same vein as the arches so........ caution.

Not tried it myself but apparently a heat gun brings them back to life

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
The down side of using a heat gun on plastic is that it makes the plastic even more brittle than it already is. However, it will bring the black back as you've said.

Wonder if 20 years of summer heatwaves has made them brittle??. The cars in Scotland should be okay as we do not really get heatwaves ???????????

Back