Relay 615?

Pugliese

A2OC Donor
Got a wiper problem.

Turn on wipers and it gets half way on its sweep then stops. Switch off the ignition and switch on again and it advances 1cm. Repeat this process and it keeps advancing 1cm and then returns to its parking position

Read up on the forum it could be relay 602 or 603

Lifted up plate in the passenger footwell and the relay described by Mike in another post is named 615 part no 8Z0955531. It clearly is the correct relay as with it taken out, the wiper will not work at all.

Main question - is it likely to be the relay with these symptoms?

I think I have discovered the difference between relays 602/3 and 615.

615 is for cars with headlight washers, but off course sods law dictates that there are none in the country and I go on holiday next week.

So will a 602 relay work??

Mike has very kindly confirmed I can safely fit relay 602/3, so have ordered that. He also advised that the 615 had been superceeded by a TT Part, so I will try and clarify this at the dealer.

Will pick up the relay tomorrow and that will hopefully sort the problem but given I have a short amount of time, I need to consider what else it could be.

When I replaced the relay and tried the wiper it again did half a sweep and stopped. Turning off the ignitionand on again, this time it then continued and parked very slowly. Switching on again, it went through the same process but very slowly.

So what else could cause this? bad motor or bad earth? - Anyone any ideas?

Thanks guys

Easter Challenge

Well I have changed the relay and it has not fixed the problem.

So from my reseach on here the other potential faults are the earthing or the motor.

As I go on holiday on the Thursday after Easter I have had to book it in at the main dealer for next Tuesday, so the challenge is to try and sort it over Easter to avoid an expensive visit.

Can anyone give me guidance on how to check the earthing. I understand you need to remove the passenger side headlamp and pull the ABS plug out to access it but how do you know if you have a good earth?

Any ther ideas would be most welcome:)

Have narrowed the problem down but now need some guidance.

When the wiper is switched on it goes half way then cuts out, give it a minute then it advances 1cm and cuts out again. It continues the 1cm hops (advancing 1cm and cutting out) until the end of the sweep (takes about 5 mins.) and then parks itself.

Now if I pull the wiper away from the screen (as you would when washing the screen) the wiper will operate normally.

So the friction of the blade on the screen is stopping it functioning normally or looking more directly at the problem, the wiper motor is not getting enough power.

So is it the motor or the power getting to the motor?

Have checked the earthing point behind the passengers side headlight and that is fine.

Any ideas out there??? Coud it be an earthing issue and how can I check/rectify that??

I would say It is the wiper Motor!

Had a similar problem on a different car. I tried everything like you and it turned out to be the wiper motor.

Darren

Thanks for the replies.

Mike suggested I run an auxillary earth, which I did, but alas it did not help.

I have actually got it working by treating the window with RainX which coupled with the car being in direct sunlight has reduced the friction BUT it is still sluggish, so I suspect it will be a new motor:(

Thinking back, since owning the car the fast speed on the wipers has never been much better than the standard speed which I just accepted as the norm but maybe that was the first signs that the motor was on the way out?

Can anyone tell me if the difference between fast and slow is noticeable on most A2's???

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Mike suggested I run an auxillary earth, which I did, but alas it did not help.

I have actually got it working by treating the window with RainX which coupled with the car being in direct sunlight has reduced the friction BUT it is still sluggish, so I suspect it will be a new motor:(

Thinking back, since owning the car the fast speed on the wipers has never been much better than the standard speed which I just accepted as the norm but maybe that was the first signs that the motor was on the way out?

Can anyone tell me if the difference between fast and slow is noticeable on most A2's???

Thanks

Hiya matey

Yes it is noticeable on my colour storm. The speed is quite a bit faster

Cheers

Mark

The problem was a seizing linkage which from my searches on here, appears to be quite a rare problem - maybe it was because the car spent the first 5 years of its life in the Scottish Highlands and was subjected to above average rainfall:)

On a more serious note, is it something that should occur? Maybe - the car is over 7years old and done 85k miles, so do not think I have recourse to Audi even though it has a full Audi service history.

Given that the major cost was the labour - 2 hours at main dealer prices:( - I decided to replace the wiper motor as well, because as detailed above, I guess it had been seizing/running slow for a time and may well have damaged/worn the motor. It would have been very expensive to get them to put the old motor back only to find that under strain it was less than perfect and the new wiper motor was not too expensive £85.63 + vat.

So as the cars get older this problem may well rear its ugly head more often and you can avoid a costly trip to the stealers by stripping it down yourself and replacing the linkage - £3.92 + vat.

A good way of checking the condition may well be just to compare fast and slow speeds on the wipers, as there was very little diference before and now there is a very definite one.

Hope this will be of help to someone in the future.

Back