Remap & MPG

vkx245l

A2OC Donor
Thinking of getting our TDI 75 remapped but was interested to know, now that people have had remapped engines for a while, whether there is a significant drop in MPG.
I know many of you will now drive like its stolen but then you probably did before. Any info might help persuade the other half that its the right thing to do

Cheers

Jonathan

Hmmm, I was about to ask exactly the same question.

Also, how much should a decent re-map cost?

:)

sorry i can't comment on the A2, but i remapped a bmw recently and it shure did shift, however when driven fast or steady it lost around 3 to 4 mpg, contradicting the theory of better consumption based on lighter use of the accelerator.
other diesels i have tuned responded in much the same way

I have had lots of re-mapped diesels or fitted tuning boxes and it depends how you use the extra power. If you use it for the extra performance then economy will be the same or worse. If you can mange to drive the same speed/style and use the extra torque to hang on to the gears etc you will find an improvement in economy. I am waiting for a loom to transfer the tuning box from my A6 to my A2 tdi 75. It should hopefully arrive next week and will report back on how I find it. Some members on this site do not support the use of tuning boxes and only recommend a re-map. Personally I have had both and the current system I have from DTUK (PD2 system) is plug n' play so can be fine tuned to suit your requirements. It is alos a German system and TUV approved. A remap is less easily detectable but could be wiped by diagnostics at service time, a box is easily removed/fitted but possibly doesn't acheive quite the power uplift a custom remap from a rolling road set up might. With both you should notify your insurers....:rolleyes: I am also trying mine on BP Ultimate which is b****y expensive so hope it gives the improvements I have seen on other cars.

believe it or not i would say its actually better AFTER the remap (superchips) previously i got below 300 miles on a tank and after it was about 320. the extra power meant you short shifted it natually and didnt have to rev it out to get the best power

Back