Remote heating via fob

MOI

A2OC Donor
Wouldn’t it be nice to heat up the A2 interior on a cold winters day using the fob from inside the house. :)

I’m guessing this is not an easy (or even possible) mod but thought I’d ask anyway.

So…has anyone worked out how to do this?

You need something like the DEFA coolant preheater that I (and I think @dj_efk ) have. This plugs into the mains ; add a 24h timer and you can start heating a few hours before you need to commute in the morning. You could then go a step further and plumb in an in-line pump with a timerswitch / remote control with a bit of jiggery-pokery, but this doesn't really do much more. Otherwise, adding the pump unit (common to the contemporary A6/A8) to the standard early A2Tdi Webasto as well as some form of remote activation system can do much the same but with higher heating power from the Webasto.

Having said that, the preheater on its own generates gentle flow around the block and short coolant circuit behind the thermostat and can get the entire engine / coolant (excluding radiator) system up to a comfy 45-50 degrees overnight (when zero degrees or slightly lower outside), meaning that you have near-instant warm air, and if driving reasonably hard immediately, it never goes below this and rapidly gets up to the full 90 with heating active.

For keeping the cold off in the cabin, I have 2x 60W incandescent bulbs on clip-holders inside the cabin overnight. Keeps it above zero (so windows remain clear) and if very slightly warmer, ensures that the seats and steering wheel are acceptably temperate when you get into the car - combined with the DEFA means you have clear windows and acceptable warmth straight away.

Another nice possibility apart from heated seats would be the heated 4-spoke (non-sport) steering wheel used in the contemporary A6. Amusingly, in all C5 (1997-2005) A6 models this is an 8Z (A2) part number, even wheels that weren't offered actually as an option on an A2, but this would then need some additional power circuitry and / or a switch that would really only be possible if you got someone like @timmus to put it together.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOI
I actually have a Calix (it’s @gills that has the DEFA I believe Robin). It’s very similar but as I couldn’t get DEFA to confirm fitment for the ATL engine in the 90 whereas Calix were happy to, that’s what drove the purchase.

Two options come to mind re: remote operation: The first is a simple timer switch - if you regularly need the car first thing in the morning at the same time then this could work pretty well.

The second would be to use a smart socket that can be operated via a remote or even better an app on your phone. The socket would need WiFi access for this.

You need something like the DEFA coolant preheater that I (and I think @dj_efk ) have. This plugs into the mains ; add a 24h timer and you can start heating a few hours before you need to commute in the morning. You could then go a step further and plumb in an in-line pump with a timerswitch / remote control with a bit of jiggery-pokery, but this doesn't really do much more. Otherwise, adding the pump unit (common to the contemporary A6/A8) to the standard early A2Tdi Webasto as well as some form of remote activation system can do much the same but with higher heating power from the Webasto.

Having said that, the preheater on its own generates gentle flow around the block and short coolant circuit behind the thermostat and can get the entire engine / coolant (excluding radiator) system up to a comfy 45-50 degrees overnight (when zero degrees or slightly lower outside), meaning that you have near-instant warm air, and if driving reasonably hard immediately, it never goes below this and rapidly gets up to the full 90 with heating active.

For keeping the cold off in the cabin, I have 2x 60W incandescent bulbs on clip-holders inside the cabin overnight. Keeps it above zero (so windows remain clear) and if very slightly warmer, ensures that the seats and steering wheel are acceptably temperate when you get into the car - combined with the DEFA means you have clear windows and acceptable warmth straight away.

Another nice possibility apart from heated seats would be the heated 4-spoke (non-sport) steering wheel used in the contemporary A6. Amusingly, in all C5 (1997-2005) A6 models this is an 8Z (A2) part number, even wheels that weren't offered actually as an option on an A2, but this would then need some additional power circuitry and / or a switch that would really only be possible if you got someone like @timmus to put it together.
The bulbs sound like a good simple idea. No issue with power drain? Assuming they are using the battery.

The bulbs sound like a good simple idea. No issue with power drain? Assuming they are using the battery.
No power drain issue : they're powered by mains on a long outdoor extension cable normally used for a hedgetrimmer plugged in from the driveway and run under the garage door. This is narrow enough to fit through the thick rubber door seal of the drivers door without impacting the door closure. Lightbulbs are in clip-on fittings, one normally clipped onto a cup holder, the other to the cubby hole behind the handbrake. Used to use something similar for drying out rowing boats overnight when needing fibreglass/honeycomb repairs under slow, controlled conditions rather than messing around with hair-dryers or heat guns (where inattention could cause scorching/melting, or fire or both!).

If you leave one in there all day it keeps the windows either entirely thawed (when cold but above zero), or soft-scoop-scrapeable (hard frost night, maybe -6 outdoors or so) rather than chipping the ice off as normal. 2 bulbs on a properly cold night along with bubble wrap on the windscreen under the wiper are enough to keep the car frost-free.

Uses a lot less energy than idling the car 20 minutes+ to get the windows clear.

My FSI has this to remotely fire up it’s Webasto …..
IMG_0017.jpeg

Hit the button when I’m still in bed & it defrosts the windows, heats up the cabin & gets coolant to 80c, all while I’m in the shower !!
Simples 🦦 ..okay it’s not a meerkat !!

Even has an Audi symbol on it, so must have been an option on my German spec car In 2005.

a €1000 option, yes. I have had something similar on my Skodas for the last three cars and 8 years. Great thing, you just need to be careful to drive for as long as you heat or you'll drain the battery.
Eberspächer and Webasto did make systems for the A2, but the pricing is not low; mains powered systems are super common here (Defa and Calix among them). Personally I will probably put a DEFA plug on the outside of my next car with an interior socket so I can charge through the 12V accessory from the mains when it's been a bit much (my car refused to start at the weekend in -33 after sitting for a week).
The interior heater normally plugs in there; I have a Termini in the wife's car, with 1kW, which is pretty good. Requires about 2 hours at -25 to bring the interior back up to around +5C.
DEFA is probably around €400, all in; socket, green cable to the wall, 500W engine block heater and the cabling to run through to the interior (just drop the arch liner and go behind the glovebox, that's what I did). A 4A charger will add another €100 or so. Current plan for this or the next car is to get an interior socket as I have a Ctek that works well, thanks, so I don't really need a permanently attached charger.

Wouldn’t it be nice to heat up the A2 interior on a cold winters day using the fob from inside the house. :)

I’m guessing this is not an easy (or even possible) mod but thought I’d ask anyway.

So…has anyone worked out how to do this?

It’s possible if you have a webasto tdi to fit a circulation pump as used on the rover75 then the webasto can be triggered along with the aux pump and this will pump 5.5kw of heat into the engine coolant. Typically this will take 5 to 10 mins to get the coolant to 80deg C where the webasto will shut down
If the remote used to turn on the webasto and aux pump is also wires to turn on the cabin blower motor and the cabin heating is set to screen and hot and blower motor to mid speed then as the engine coolant temp rise so will the cabin temperature

It could be done but there is a lot of wiring to add to make this possible plus hacking into the webasto control board and fitting the six pump plus the remote control
Not something that I will be embarking on if I’m honest

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My FSI has this to remotely fire up it’s Webasto …..
View attachment 117460
Hit the button when I’m still in bed & it defrosts the windows, heats up the cabin & gets coolant to 80c, all while I’m in the shower !!
Simples 🦦 ..okay it’s not a meerkat !!

Even has an Audi symbol on it, so must have been an option on my German spec car In 2005.
Same fob to operate the webasto on my 2011 Caddy TDI... Absolute godsend. Runs for no more than 30 mins, won't run if fuel is low and in the red and won't run above ... 10 perhaps...Celsius...

There's a complete kit available for this here:

Conversion kit for auxiliary heater for Audi A2 1.4l TDI

Very tempted, although it does start to get expensive when you add the desirable options like T99 or T100 Remote Control... ;)

You can easily use an gsm remote, wich is much cheaper, has an unlimited reach. Manuals on how to connect this to the webaso heaters are avaliable online in many forums:

example:

exampel 2:

Video:

I use this in my Van with a planar heater. Another benefit is, the police can probably track the car, when its stolen, and see, in wich gsm cell it is booked in, not very accurate so, but better then nothing.

Last edited:
You can easily use an gsm remote, wich is much cheaper, has an unlimited reach. Manuals on how to connect this to the webaso heaters are avaliable online in many forums:

example:

exampel 2:

Video:

I use this in my Van with a planar heater. Another benefit is, the police can probably track the car, when its stolen, and see, in wich gsm cell it is booked in, not very accurate so, but better then nothing.
What do you think @timmus? Possible mod?

More information on this

More information on this
Great guide that. What price @2work having one fitted in project EAD by Monday?!? 😉

Great guide that. What price @2work having one fitted in project EAD by Monday?!? 😉
Evening Erling,

Whilst it’s nice idea I have a Votex kit to paint a new rubber required to for new A8 D2 wheels. Extravagant upgrades like this will have to wait their turn unfortunately.

Might be something I come back to once both Webasto’s are working and the exterior look of Project OEM has finally been adjusted.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back