Remove the knee bolster

S

Sire

Hi everyone!

Has enyone removed the plastic under the dashboard? Just how is it fitted???

History:
I went to the dealer and asked how much installing remote locking would be. He told me it wasn't possible on my car. (A2 2001 budget version)

So I bought a keyless remote system from a seller at Ebay and thought I should install it yesterday. The instruction sheet says: "Remove the knee bolster (the cover under the steering wheel) and the drivers' kick panel (the panel behind the drivers door).

But it seems impossible to remove the plastic.

Here is the remote system I bought: http://www.uskeyless.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=94&main_catid=6

A2 isn't listed, but supported.

I know the general idea is that these systems doesn't work (due to transponder problems etc.), but I want to give it a go. I have located the transponder in my keys and successfully removed them temorary.

It feels SO cheap to lock/unlock a 2001 Audi with keys when most others do it by remote :-(

SO, if anyone have any tip regarding to remove the "knee bolster" I would be very happy.

/Glenn
Sweden

most of it is held in place with clips and there's a couple of screws towards the back. Tx20 if i'm not mistaken.

the panel to the left of your left foot is held in place also with clips and clipped at the end into the next part. Pull. But only when everything's warm!

Bret

Hi Sire
Just to add a few details to Bret's mail - I usually start by peeling the seal back around the bottom of the door opening and up to dashboard height and fold the carpet out of the way. For me this gives better access to remove the sections of trim, particularly along the sill. Next pull off the small section of trim which sits in the door opening, approximately in line with the end of the dashboard. Next pull up the lower A pillar trim. The clips are extremely tight. Once it is loose, the front part of the trim needs to be pulled back away from the groove in the drivers footrest while the back edge has to be unclipped from rear section of trim.
The knee bolster trim can then be removed. Unscrew the 2 bolts, unclip the diagnostic connector then pull the panel out. On UK cars the service flap release lever also needs to be disconnected and the panel seems to come off easier if the light switch is pulled back (to do this push the light switch in and at the same time, turn it clockwise. With the switch held in this position, the whole switch housing can be pulled out of the dash)

Cheers Spike

Hi Sire
Just to add a few details to Bret's mail - I usually start by peeling the seal back around the bottom of the door opening and up to dashboard height and fold the carpet out of the way. For me this gives better access to remove the sections of trim, particularly along the sill. Next pull off the small section of trim which sits in the door opening, approximately in line with the end of the dashboard. Next pull up the lower A pillar trim. The clips are extremely tight. Once it is loose, the front part of the trim needs to be pulled back away from the groove in the drivers footrest while the back edge has to be unclipped from rear section of trim.
The knee bolster trim can then be removed. Unscrew the 2 bolts, unclip the diagnostic connector then pull the panel out. On UK cars the service flap release lever also needs to be disconnected and the panel seems to come off easier if the light switch is pulled back (to do this push the light switch in and at the same time, turn it clockwise. With the switch held in this position, the whole switch housing can be pulled out of the dash)

Cheers Spike

Absolutely,

just to summarise:

1 - Remove 'lower A pillar trim' (this extends along the side of the seat).
2 - Remove the upper part of the same trim.
3 - Remove lighting switch
4 - Undo 2 T25 screws, 1 underneath towards the centre, 1 revealed by removing the 'lower A pillar trim'
5 - Detach the 3 clips along the top edge of the trim, by pulling trim straight back
6 - Lower trim and detach any cables as needed.

Cheers,

Mike

Great summarise!

Thanx again guys :)

Tomorrow i'm "going in" ;-)

Back