Removing glass, taking off the door and boot!

Jimmy1412

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum, so hello! :eek: and have an endless ray of questions. I have had my a2 1.4tdi for about 4 years. I now own a car I love. The car was recently was broken into by some of the finer members of our society! They completely smashed my rear glass. I had the glass replaced by RAC, and it was an utterly shambolic job, well, they replaced the glass like for like, but now the boot sounds like a baby's rattle (when I open and close it that is, as a result of all the glass inside the boot frame itself). Also, the same is on the side front passanger door which sounds like a quieter babies rattle(This was broken into a couple of years ago). I never leave anything on display! Ever! but thats another story. So by a process of looking at other threads I guess I need to fully remove the boot, and door and literally shake the glass out. No problem! However I am useless with cars (I aim to change this!), so does anyone know how to take a boot and the side passanger door of an AudiA2. Pictures, and the names of required tools would be a great help. I am just reluctant to pay someone for something I could do myself.

Thanks so much in Advance!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune - there are some scumbags out there!

Anyway, the good news is that you don't need to remove the tailgate, just the carpeted trim and this is just clipped in place (very tight;y I must add), so it's just a case of levering it off, starting at the corner nearest the grab handle and working round.

There is a wire inside attached to the emergency release lever, so be a little careful when removing it.

As to the door, you'll need to strip the door card off (3 x T25 screws, 2 under the armrest, 1 behind the tweeter grille) and then start at the bottom and sharply yank it free of it's many clips, then free the door release cable (noting which way round it goes) and then lift up and off.

Then remove the aluminium plate inside, by undoing the many, many screws!

Finally, you can then either just undo the hinge bolts, take the door off and shake, or, spray a wax that will set and so hold the glass shards into the little slot at the bottom of the door panel.

If you are going to take the door off, you should disconnect the electrical connector in the pillar first.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks

Hello Mike,

Thank you so much for this, I will have a go at this over the next fortnight. I have an endless list of questions, as really want to re-spec my car and start to take endless good care of it. I dont suppose you know anything about the DSI's do you? If you do, above where it says ok, and indicated is a door is open etc, should that display mpg or anything? Mine never has, but since being on the forum I think maybe it should have this detail...

Thanks so much for your feedback..

Great Forum!
:)

A lot of A2 don't have a DIS computer, it was an option so all you get is/are OK and the warning lights. The full DIS has a more comprehensive portfolio of symbols etc.

Upgrade to DIS

So is it possible to upgrade to a DIS, and if so would this have to be done through a dealership?

Thanks for your reply.

Back