Removing glued-on accessory

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bigpikle

I have a Geodossy holder 'stuck' to the top of my dashboard with a very secure double sided sticky pad. It's been there 6 months and is well stuck! I need to get it off without recking the dash - holder is metal so unlikely to be damaged.

Any suggestions - solvents that wont damage the dash? tricks/techniques?

Thanks

About to become 2003 A2 1.4 Tdi SE, Silver, CD, Climate

"Your past is not your potential" Unknown

heat it up with a hairdryer? Might melt the sticky bit, but I DON'T know what effect it would have on the dash-but if it can take the full sun....

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

thanks - combination of gentle teasing, sharp blade, patience (not usually my strong point!) and it's come off without damage. Now, how best to add it to the A2 so as not to have the same problem in the future - the glue on those adhesive velco pads is never as strong as the velco itself and just pulls off all the time!

About to become 2003 A2 1.4 Tdi SE, Silver, CD, Climate

"Your past is not your potential" Unknown

The general way to remove anything that is stuck on with double-sided adhesive is to run a thin wire behind it and 'saw' it off. Especially valuable for fragile objects like mirrors.

Re-attaching it seems like another double-sided sticky tape job to me. Velcro is nice, but it's never as stable as tape. Lots of slack, so to speak.

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back