Replacing Climate Control Unit

KiranCM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so would like to say hi! Purchased my A2 a couple of weeks ago from a work colleague and they had purchased a climate control unit replacement. This is because of the common button wear. However, I've got as far as removing the single DIN radio but then I get stumped on what to do next as the climate control doesn't seem to pull out. I'm sure there are probably other threads on this but I can't find any guides or YouTube videos on it. Would appreciate a guide or someone to explain what to do next as I feel a little silly.

If you can get your fingers behind the back of the climate unit and press it forward, it might be a bit stiff but it should push out from the back. You can disconnect everything once it is loose.

I often take the ashtray off to help but it should not be necessary on a single DIN dash, but open it first if you are leaving it in.
But you only need to touch the ashtray if you are taking the cubby hole out.

Steve B

Replaced mine recently open ash tray remove cubby hole the one above ash tray you can then get your hands behind climate control and push out .

And the trick to get the cubby hole out?

Firstly open (or remove) the ash tray or you will break it.

Then "simply" put both hands into the cubby hole as far as they will go then attempt to clench a fist and make it as tight a fit as possible and opull sharply and firmly !!! It WILL come out but it takes a bit of practice.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast responses! I'll try it tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes

You will soon find out that this is a GREAT club and lots of people who are happy to help.

I hope we will see pictures of your A2, regardless of condition we do like to see member's cars (and check out our "socials" section for our events and you and your A2 will be very welcome).

Steve B

Thanks for all your help. Managed to get the cubbie hole out with the ash tray open. The description of getting the cubbie hole was a very unique but useful technique and is easier than taking the radio out. However my girlfriend managed to break the ash tray so it doesn't pop out anymore. The new climate control unit looks nice in but is a darker colour because of the faded dash. Again thanks for all the useful advice

It sounds like the ashtray was not open when you removed the cubby hole.

You are not alone at doing that, even people who have made that same mistake (including me) just forgot to open it .
The spring can be put back but it is a fiddly job and the spring is a bit like a razor blade sometimes, so it might be best to leave it as is, or ask the guys on here if they have one (just a couple of screws hidden behind a strip of plastic that pulls off, and the lamp connection to get it off)

As for the colour difference, it sounds like you now have what is known as a "Hard Touch" panel, the buttons do not have the coating on them that wears off they are a more permanent finish (hence the name)
The soft touch panel is more of a grey colour.

Steve B

Back