replacing damaged wiring plugs

audifan

A2OC Donor
Recently I had to replace the fuel temp sensor wiring plug, the coolant temp sensor wiring plug and the break wear sensor wiring plugs on my A2 1.4tdi. Although you can buy wiring repair kits from Audi i looked for an alternative. I found h2fconnectors2016 on ebay and after looking through the items they sell found exactly what I needed. I ordered a 4 wire plug and a 2 wire male plug and a 2 wire female plug, but instead of just ordering the plugs I went for the prewired mini looms they sell. These come wire quality insulated coloured wiring already installed in the plug, a rubber boot that fits over the wiring end of the plug a length of split corrugated plastic tube to fit over the wiring and heat shrink butt connectors to join the new loom to the original on the car. The quality is excellent and fit perfectly onto the sensors looking very neat and original. I must add that I have no connection - sorry about that - to the company just giving them a recommendation as much cheaper than going to the dealers, you can of coarse just buy the plug and refit the existing car wiring but the new wires are much better to solder than the thin original wiring.

Pictures can be found in ebay. Didn't take any doing the job. I shortened the new wires an inch or so to make sure the connections to the loom were completely covered by the corrugated outer cover. All three took about an hour, that was including jacking and blocking the car to do the break wear wiring.

Thanks for this - can you specify the part numbers for the different sensor wiring sets? I've looked but not seen anything obvious using Audi as a search term at the site. I've got an erratic coolant sensor at the dash readout, but it is unclear at the moment if it is the sensor that has gone or the wiring linked to it, so having a sensor already in place to replace the original, if the wiring is knackered that could be useful to have at hand as well.

Thanks for this - can you specify the part numbers for the different sensor wiring sets? I've looked but not seen anything obvious using Audi as a search term at the site. I've got an erratic coolant sensor at the dash readout, but it is unclear at the moment if it is the sensor that has gone or the wiring linked to it, so having a sensor already in place to replace the original, if the wiring is knackered that could be useful to have at hand as well.
Hi Robin_Cox, The 4 pin connector is required for the coolant sensor as it has 2 circuits in the sensor 1 feeds the ecu and the other the dash gauge. The item i bought is "VW AUDI 4 PIN CONNECTOR PLUG PRE WIRED 1J0973712 cost £8.95.
The 2 pin FEMALE plug connector 1J0973702 again pre wired multi locations on the car £5.99 and the matching MALE 2 pin connector pre wired 1J0973802 £6.99. I have just checked searching ebay using these 3 part numbers does bring up the items I ordered. Hope this helps.

The 2 pin male connector was for the fuel temp sensor and the 2 pin female for the break wear sensor. These connectors are quite common on other components.

Last edited:
Yes that is the exact model for the 4 wire COOLANT sensor. Not sure which engine you have but as long as it has the dual circuit temp sensor which I believe all A2s have then this is the kit you need. Nice thing about it is there is enough wire to replace nearly all the original fragile Audi wiring back into the loom.My car is a 1.4 tdi 75 2003 and the temp sensor is fitted on the right side of the engine block just below the tandem pump. If you need the FUEL temp sensor kit it is a 2 pin male connector.

Umm, might be worth a punt then....over the colder times the red coolant warning light came on on first start up, went off after about 2 mins running, checked coolant level and its ok so Im thinking it might be the sensor, could do with a VCD check really I spose.

VCDS will tell you the temp reading from both parts of the coolant temp sensor assuming the wiring is intact. A damaged wire can easily give the incorrect reading to either the gauge or more importantly to the ECU. There must be someone nearby that can do a scan for you. Any other symptoms?

As far as I know, no other symptoms at all, car runs sweet as a nut. in fact, there has been no warning light re the coolant level since the weather has warmed up. The car flew through its MOT only a month or so ago with no advisories what so ever, millage is 76 thou or there abouts.

The coolant level sensor is inside the round expansion tank. Is the expansion tank clean? Are you using the correct coolant and has it been changed on time? The level sensor could be covered in debris i.e sludge or corrosion. I took my expansion tank off last year to clean it. Not a big job, 2 coolant hoses and an electrical plug and a bolt underneath holding it onto the car. Obviously you will loose coolant when you disconnect the hoses catch the fluid in a suitable container and dispose of correctly NOT down a drain. I flushed the tank from all three openings to get most of the sludge out then sealed the 2 hose connection points with fingers from a rubber glove and tie wraps to secure and put about 10 small ball bearings into the tank with some water and put the cap back on. Shook the tank for about half an hour rotating it every so often. rinsed it out in clean water making sure all the ball bearings were out and had a perfectly clean inside tank. They are not too expensive to replace but I had satisfaction cleaning it in about an hour. Refit back on car, top up or replace coolant, run until warm with the cap off to burp the system, fit cap and check the level over the next few days topping up as needed.

VCDS will tell you the temp reading from both parts of the coolant temp sensor assuming the wiring is intact. A damaged wire can easily give the incorrect reading to either the gauge or more importantly to the ECU. There must be someone nearby that can do a scan for you. Any other symptoms?

Which channel measurement blocks in VCDS give the twin temperature readout?

Unless someone has done this already, it would be really useful to maintain a list of the part numbers for the various plugs that are available. I have previously tried to find the correct 4-pin plug for the TDi90 map sensor, so knowing what is correct first tme would be great.

Unless someone has done this already, it would be really useful to maintain a list of the part numbers for the various plugs that are available. I have previously tried to find the correct 4-pin plug for the TDi90 map sensor, so knowing what is correct first tme would be great.
I think this is the plug you require from h2fconnectors on ebay, dont have a tdi90 but you know what you need.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-4-PIN...841682?hash=item4b4321e3d2:g:R44AAOSwFNZWufrO
There are not all that many different connectors fitted to all VAG group cars, and although the part numbers may be different for brands or models the pictures of the plugs are very clear. Personally every plug I have ordered has been exactly the same as the old one but did not worry about the part number, only male or female, shape of plug and number of connections.

Thanks.
I also need the one for the vacuum control box, it looks like another one but has an extra key on one side from what I remember.

Back