Replacing rear model inscription (help needed)

iainmd

Afternoon folks,

I decided to put the 'A2' and '1.4 TDI' model badges back on so picked up a new set. My only issues are...

a) How do I know exactly where they should go? Does anyone have the standard measurement up and in from the boot edge to get them where they were from the factory?

b) They are stuck to the backing paper with (I presume) the correct spacing. Any suggestions as to how I ensure I keep that when transferred to the car boot?

Iain

No idea on either question. Phil's your man ( the grim reeper) !

More importantly, have we got a new associate member yet and how is Jen?? :D

Having de-badged Tank, I can't give you the proper measurements Iain.

However, the trick to keeping spacing is to remove the backing paper, leaving the lettering stuck to the clear front film. You'll notice that this film has a white rectangular edge and this is used to keep things square.

Make sure you clean the area to receive the lettering with isopropyl alcohol to remove all traces of wax, which will otherwise prevent a secure bond.

Until someone comes along with some measurements, that's all I can help you with I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Mike

PS Hope that Jen has de-bumped and that you're all doing well.

measurements for logos/badges ...

Vertical disposition:
According to my straight-edge, the logos/badges sit on a horizontal line exactly 70mm above the bottom edge of the tailgate. Alternatively, this line is 3mm below the tail-light cluster junction between the reversing light (clear) and the lower red (hmm, assuming that'll be side light?)

Horizontal disposition:
A2 badge; the bottom left extremity of the 'A' is 32mm from the left edge of the tailgate.
TDI badge; the right side of the 'I' is 38mm from the right edge of the tailgate.

I measured the edges of the tailgate using a small set square, so this is the physical limit, rather than from the visual limit as presented by the finished panel - the difference being the physical curvature of the tailgate panel edges.

Skipton & a2magic, many thanks. I'll have a bash the next dry day I get.

Murdo, no sign of the associate member yet. Jen's 9 days overdue and she'll be into the hospital for a chivvy-along on Saturday if there are no developments. We just wish it would get a shift on.

Had an entertaining exchange with my local Audi dealer today. As Mike recommended I ordered the LHD pillar trim (post-cruise fit) only the parts guy at the dealer ordered the RHD one despite me telling him twice I wanted the LHD one. He than had the cheek to say, "You specifically told me you wanted the right hand drive one. I'm not going to argue but you did!" I showed him the bit of paper with the correct part number I gave him at the time of ordering and he still barked at me that I was wrong and he was right. Truly extraordinary customer service I must say! He was so sure his facts were correct that he has agreed an exchange. 6 hours later and I'm still raging :mad:

Had an entertaining exchange with my local Audi dealer today. As Mike recommended I ordered the LHD pillar trim (post-cruise fit) only the parts guy at the dealer ordered the RHD one despite me telling him twice I wanted the LHD one. He than had the cheek to say, "You specifically told me you wanted the right hand drive one. I'm not going to argue but you did!" I showed him the bit of paper with the correct part number I gave him at the time of ordering and he still barked at me that I was wrong and he was right. Truly extraordinary customer service I must say! He was so sure his facts were correct that he has agreed an exchange. 6 hours later and I'm still raging :mad:

Never underestimate the dizzy lows some so called customer servants can stoop to Iain! One guy at my preferred Audi independant (who has now moved on I am glad to say) became agitated verging on abusive towards me when I wanted replacements for parts that he supplied for my father in laws Skoda which would not fit. I bought them in an 'end of line' clearance sale when he assured me they would fit (headlamp protectors the offending article) We broke both protectors trying to fit them!

Anyways, the best of luck to both of you and the bump. Fingers are crossed and hope youre all organised! :D Keep us posted how things go and look after the family! ;)

Back