Respray Black Skirting ???

jambost

Evening,

Has anyone attempted to respray the black skirting that goes around the lower part of the car? I'm specifically interested in the doing the skirts down both sides as the skirts just at the point where the skirt meets the wheel arch at the front of the rear wheels has been hammered over the years and is all pitted and gone a sort of white/grey and has lost its pure black look.

Cheers
Stuart

Are you looking to have them resprayed to body colour or do you simply want them to look black again?

If it's the latter you'd be surprised what a difference a trim restorer like back to black can do.

You could always try Plastikote (or whatever it is called?)

But I had them painted body colour on my Wife's Tdi 90

Joans car 2.jpg

wheels 2.jpg

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Have you got any pictures of the front and back? I'm also considering this as an alternative to sourcing a Votex kit.

Hi Steve,

Have you got any pictures of the front and back? I'm also considering this as an alternative to sourcing a Votex kit.

There you go!

I think it is the next best thing to a Votex look.

non front spoiler.jpgNon front.jpgnon rear.JPG

And the Votex for comparison

Votex front spoiler.jpgvotex front.jpgVotex rear.jpg

And you can do the rear spoiler in body colour too
Standard and then Votex

rear spoiler 4.jpgblack rings large.jpg

Steve B

Last edited:
Do you know i had completely forgotten about back to black, i'll try that first. My aim is really to get the 'new' black look and i may have to visit a store to locate some of the platikote paint. By the way Steve the car looks good with the white skirting.

Cheers
Stuart

Do you know i had completely forgotten about back to black, i'll try that first. My aim is really to get the 'new' black look and i may have to visit a store to locate some of the platikote paint. By the way Steve the car looks good with the white skirting.

Stuart,

You might also want to research a product by Gtechniq called C4

Here's a promo video of the product;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6V4907fDaCM

It's not cheap, but it works as described and last for up to 2 years, where as the cheaper variants usually start to fade after a couple of washes.

Cheers
Jeff

I think it will be cheaper to buy new ones.
They are rather cheap.
Provided you want them black, of course...

I think it will be cheaper to buy new ones.
They are rather cheap.
Provided you want them black, of course...

A while back I bought a new one from an Audi dealer and it was around £40, but you probably need the top trim pieces too because the tabs break when you pop them out.

Steve B

An aptly positioned jar there in picture 2 Steve; mind you, I'm sure it wasn't quite the word you used at the time... :D

An aptly positioned jar there in picture 2 Steve; mind you, I'm sure it wasn't quite the word you used at the time... :D

You are right there, it is at times like that when "Oh dear" isn't quite strong enough.

Steve B

A while back I bought a new one from an Audi dealer and it was around £40, but you probably need the top trim pieces too because the tabs break when you pop them out.

Steve B
I recently removed both the trim on the middle of the door and the bottom trim, when changing my door (only the aluminum part was changed). They were hard to get off. But with a heat gun, mild heat, and a box cutter, I was able to remove them without breaking anything.

has anyone got any pics of the Black bits sprayed body colour on SILVER and Black,

Id be much apprecaited to see them if you do.

the black seems like a no brainer but not sure if the silver will look good.

I have to admit i wasnt keen on your steve in white without the vortex kit.

has anyone got any pics of the Black bits sprayed body colour on SILVER and Black,

Id be much apprecaited to see them if you do.

the black seems like a no brainer but not sure if the silver will look good.

I have to admit i wasnt keen on your steve in white without the vortex kit.

Everyone has different tastes so that is fine,

But I still prefer my wife's white 90 with the body coloured sills instead of black ones (My car was never white without the Votex kit so you must have seen my wife's)

Steve B

Joans car 2.jpg
wheels 2.jpg

ah yes, sorry Steve your wifes.

Im wanting tobe swayed. iv allways looked at the Blackbits and been tempted to paint them - so hoping to be able to see it done on silver to convince me.

the black i think ill just get it done

Back