Retrofit headlight washers ?

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I will be doing this but I am assuming that, to get the OEM look I am going to HAVE to find/buy a front bumper with the OEM washers on it already.
Is that right?

I don't want to try and fit a "home made" attempt, it HAS to look right!

Can the parts be sourced (new if I have to) and fitted to a non washer bumper by a competent Bodyshop?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Steve B

The parts all have part numbers and so should be available independently.
I have them on my car and as far as I recall the mountings separate from the bumper and are held in with 2 screws or similar.
If you can find pictures of the back of a bumper it may be that the mounting points are marked on the bumper as they are on the rear for parking sensors.
The bumper has the same part number but with an A suffix for the ones with washers.

I thought the general consensus was that the washers were of very limited utility and just wasted screenwash and so not worth fitting...

I can try to find some photos from when I took my bumper off if it would be useful!

Looking at the photo of my bumper it appears that their is a fair sized recess for the washers. I do not think the other parts would mount without this being present.

Link to a photo and parts list:
http://sdrv.ms/Klh8N2

John

Last edited:
The parts all have part numbers and so should be available independently.
I have them on my car and as far as I recall the mountings separate from the bumper and are held in with 2 screws or similar.
If you can find pictures of the back of a bumper it may be that the mounting points are marked on the bumper as they are on the rear for parking sensors.
The bumper has the same part number but with an A suffix for the ones with washers.

I thought the general consensus was that the washers were of very limited utility and just wasted screenwash and so not worth fitting...

I can try to find some photos from when I took my bumper off if it would be useful!

John

Hi,

Thanks for that

The headlight washers are integrated into the bumper, they are not separate from it, they raise out of the bumper when operated and so the bumper has cut outs for them. (at least the ones I have seen operate like this)

I want them for two reasons
Firstly my quest for the ultimate A2 needs to have every conceivable OEM extra at the very least.
Secondly, and most importantly, if I am to fit Bi-Xenon Headlights, legally they HAVE to have washers and self levelling, in the UK.

So a "no brainer" for me to have them.

Thanks for the useful info though.

Steve B

Last edited:
With the photos it seems clear that a new bumper would be required. It all separates easily from the bumper though.
Take a look at the photo. The recess seems quite a lot more substantial than I remembered.

I would not do "original", I would go for A3 or so type, as otherwise it's a nightmare. Consider 6 hours at least, as it's a bumper-off job. New Pump, tubes, and then the washer bottle itself, which is also a non-trivial task.

I can count the number of people who've done an original retrofit on the fingers of a blind butcher's hand: zero.

Me, included. I have bits, the pump, the bottle and some washerjets somewhere, but they are not originals and will not be.

- Bret

I would not do "original", I would go for A3 or so type, as otherwise it's a nightmare. Consider 6 hours at least, as it's a bumper-off job. New Pump, tubes, and then the washer bottle itself, which is also a non-trivial task.

I can count the number of people who've done an original retrofit on the fingers of a blind butcher's hand: zero.

Me, included. I have bits, the pump, the bottle and some washerjets somewhere, but they are not originals and will not be.

- Bret

Thanks Bret, the trouble is that I do like a challenge, so I am thinking that I now must try and do this, although surely an original bumper with the washer units in it will help reduce the effort?

I might even tackle the washer bottle with the sender in it for the DIS while doing this.

By the way, are the washers triggered by a separate switch, or every X windscreen wash cycles?

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
with a new washer relay... I can't remember the wiring, but it's "if the headlights are on, then the headlight washer pump will also be triggered".
Which is why you go through 5l of screenwash in short order.

As original equipment... it's really quite rare.

- Bret

It is every third windscreen wash when headlights are on or something like that.
It is not active if the lights are enabled using the TFL pin.

Hi Steve

When I did the "facelift" on humpy, I also fitted the headlamp washers to the car. Like you, my plan is to fit HID's so this was a necessary mod. I really do like the fit and finish of the OE washer kit and it works very well.

There are a few parts that need to be sourced - bumper, washer covers, washer brackets, washer jets, washer bottle, re-enforced hose, bottle pump and the relay. You also need a few cable ties and special clips that hold the hose to the inner side of the bumper. The work is very extensive and the cost is not worth the benefit - factor the re-spray of the bumper and washer covers in the equation too.

As for the wiring, the new relay must be fitted and wired to the headlamp dipped beam circuit. The washers are activated EVERY time the screen washer is activated, but only when the headlamps are in operation. The headlamp washers operate within 2 seconds of the washer lever being pulled. If you wish to have the level sensor fitted too, you have even more wiring to do! PM me if you're looking for someone to do the fitting for you.

As Brett correctly mentions, you will use a lot of screen wash.

blue skies
tony

Hi Steve

When I did the "facelift" on humpy, I also fitted the headlamp washers to the car. Like you, my plan is to fit HID's so this was a necessary mod. I really do like the fit and finish of the OE washer kit and it works very well.

There are a few parts that need to be sourced - bumper, washer covers, washer brackets, washer jets, washer bottle, re-enforced hose, bottle pump and the relay. You also need a few cable ties and special clips that hold the hose to the inner side of the bumper. The work is very extensive and the cost is not worth the benefit - factor the re-spray of the bumper and washer covers in the equation too.

As for the wiring, the new relay must be fitted and wired to the headlamp dipped beam circuit. The washers are activated EVERY time the screen washer is activated, but only when the headlamps are in operation. The headlamp washers operate within 2 seconds of the washer lever being pulled. If you wish to have the level sensor fitted too, you have even more wiring to do! PM me if you're looking for someone to do the fitting for you.

As Brett correctly mentions, you will use a lot of screen wash.

blue skies
tony

Hi Tony,

VERY helpful thank you.

PM sent

Steve B

Hi,

also, as the headlamp washers operate only after a delay, its possible to just wash the screen by using repeated quick "bursts" of spray. Washing the headlamps requires a conscious pull and hold of the stalk.
Once you're used to it its quite easy to have the headlamps washed on demand.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

What a coincidence, a front bumper just came up on eBay with the OEM cut-outs for the washers!!!!!

All I need now are the parts and a lot of effort to fit them, but the bumper was the one thing that I didn't think I would find.

So just got to find the parts next and John L kindly listed them above !!!
Steve B

Just re-invigorating this thread. I'm looking to retro the washers to my Papaya CS, Hotstuff are you or anyone else able to help guide me on this? I have a complete vehicle with the kit fitted so effectively I have all the parts needed just need a guide as to how it is done :D

Back