Return of the moo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnimber

I've had my 1.4 TDI SE for 18 months / 33k miles. Just last week I noticed a faint mooing noise/seal honking noise from front nearside (not very technical I know, but this describes the sound perfectly). There is no associated vibration occuring. I have checked under the bonnet - neither cow nor seal present!

The noise is intermittent but seems to occur when setting off- either clutch release or accelerator depression. Seems worse when turning left. Not noticeable when changing gear or accelerating whilst over 30 mph, just at low speed. I remember some old posts on the site referring to a fault on the EGR valve (I think). Anyone else remember or suffered the same symptoms? Does this sound like a dodgy EGR valve to you?

John (& Mary) Imber 2003 1.4TDI SE, metallic silver, open sky, black leather /alcantara, Bose, ECC, DIS, Winter pack, mud flaps

Hi John,

It does sound a like the EGR valve problem - I was a long term sufferer of this. But I never had any directional issues with it so I'm surprised that it's more noticeable when turning left. I also thought that Audi had got it sorted on later models (mine is a 2001).

Still, it might be worth mentioning to Audi and getting it fixed under warranty, just as mine was. Let me know if you want the exact part number needed and I'll see if I cam find it in all my paperwork...

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

New A2OC Website!

Thanks Stuart.

No sign of noise over past 2 days. Not sure if hot weather was a factor. Will keep my ears open!

John (& Mary) Imber 2003 1.4TDI SE, metallic silver, open sky, black leather /alcantara, Bose, ECC, DIS, Winter pack, mud flaps

Hi John,
I noticed that the mooing is more prevalent in hot weather and especially if stood in traffic for some time. Like you say it occurs when setting off and releasing the clutch. Like Stuart, I didn't notice a difference direction wise. I'm surprised it is still an issue on a 2003 model A2.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

John - as Shaf says, hot weather is definitely a factor - it was always very bad when it was hot out.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

New A2OC Website!

John
My car, 2002 model built Sep 2001 had the fault. I heard it best, and every time, if I just tapped the accelerator gently and briefly when the car was standing still, so the engine speed blipped briefly up to 1500rpm. I heard a muffled sound, like the sound I would make if gently punched in the stomach ie "O-o-f.". Problem corrected without fuss under warrenty by replacing the valve.

Not identified as a regular complaint by people with left-hand drive cars. And I could not hear the noise if I sat in the passenger seat and got someone else to blip the throttle.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

My 'moo' has come back during the hot weather. It's in for service on Wednesday - can anyone find the original thread about this (I can't find it) so I can print it out and take it with me - I seem to remember it detailed the problem and provided the solution.

Thanks

Had mine done under 2 months back. It has started again and seems to be getting louder but not as loud as before. After being messed about at John Fox Nottingham we will try Leicester Reg Vardy it is booked in for them to have a look at!

That's a lie! They should be able to fit a newer modified version of the EGR valve - this is what Aston Green Audi did to my A2 (under warranty) and it completely eradicated the problem.

New A2OC Website!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back