Reverse camera project

craigyb

A2OC Donor
Well it's early days, but I bought the Kufatec generic Audi reverse camera kit hoping to fit it to the A2, after a few days of testing I realised that it would not work with a 2010 RNS-E unit above hardware revision 02, the RNS-E would not switch to the reverse screen automatically, so I thought I would abandon the project.

But after a bit of thinking I decided to get hold of an 02 HW 2010 RNS-E and fitted it before the ADI meeting. This afternoon I coded the unit for reverse camera and installed some of the wiring and sure enough the screen auto switched to the colour bars as shown in the Kufatec diagrams meaning that the system was working (no camera attached yet). So I then ran a wire from the reverse line up to the front of the car and attached that to the cangate module I have for the 2010 RNS-E to work, and that now generates the correct signals to auto switch the RNS-E to and from camera when selecting reverse.

I'm also going to mute the stereo when in reverse, but this requires aGND signal for the mute pin, so the reverse line is going to be used to drive a +12v relay and switch the mute pin to ground when reversing.

I would have got further today but rain has now stopped play. I also have to mount the camera on the rear of the car, it comes with a number plate holder with camera built in, so it should be fairly easy to fix it and run the cable through the plastic panel.

Here is a picture of the camera bundle.

camera.jpg

Well inbetween showers today I managed to finish the wiring for the camera in the front of the car, get the mute pin working for reversing so I can hear my parking sensors and test the camera functionality. All seems to be ok. So camera comes on automically in reverse and music drops allowing me to hear the sensors.

Just got to run the camera feed through the boot hinge and down to the number plate and mount it successfully.

Attachments

• camera2 (Medium).jpg
    camera2 (Medium).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 723
  • camera3 (Medium).jpg
    camera3 (Medium).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 707
  • camera4 (Medium).jpg
    camera4 (Medium).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 890
Had a sunny afternoon today, well until the rain storm.

Got the number plate surround and camera finally fitted and project complete.

Attachments

• camera5.jpg
    camera5.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 579
  • camera6.jpg
    camera6.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 527
That's not suitable for 2010 onwards RNS-E models with part numbers ending in '193' Presume this is the ones with the 'Media' button

Cheers Spike

Aah. Darn. Good job I checked!
Do you know if they have one that does work with the 2010 models?

Back