Richard Hosking

I have a A2 1.4 petrol SE with only 18,000miles from year 2000, in very good condition, but the power steering dash light sometimes flashes warning sign and also on random occassions steering goes heavy then returns to normal. any help in suggesting likely cause please.

Hi Richard.

Wow that has to be the lowest milage A2 on the road. I thought mine must have been the lowest when I got mine last year with 17k on a 04 plate, But you beat me hands down with a 01 plate:D

I don't know that much about tec stuff, But a scan would be a good start.
If you had some error codes it would help people point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

David

I had that before, but the engine was also randomly cutting out at the same time. My problem was a dead battery that would start the car but the voltage is too close to the lower threshold (~11v). A multimeter to check the battery level first, 12v+ is what you're looking for. You can also check the earth connection (there should be plenty of metion when you search this site). If both are fine, you want to get a diagnostic scan and obtain the fault code.

I had the same problem with my 2001 1.4 petrol. Power steering failure, then brake warning light flashing on, eventually the accelerator pedal didn't work along with an array of warning lights.

Problem turned out to be alternator and battery (both of which were original).

Back