Ride comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvvictor

I'm thinking of joining the A2 club - meaning buying one - but I'm concerned about ride comfort. OK -so I really need to have a test drive, to find out for myself, and I'll do that very soon. But I'm certainly developing thoughts that a "standard" model with 15" and 175/60/15s will be the best choice for me, being a "softie", and not too concerned with ultimate levels of grip. But i'd welcome any feedback from owners who have experienced various wheel and tyre combinations (FORGET the 17" wheels and sports suspension, which is certainly not for me!) as I'm well aware from previous cars that tyre brand affects ride comfort and noise as well as actual size and profile - I've found Continental EcoContacts very good on my present Rover 75 - comfortable, quiet, and good in the wet. So any helpful comments and advice, please!!!

I bought a 1,4Tdi SE (without sports suspension) 2 weeks ago, for the time being it's fitted with 175/60/15 wintertires. I have to say that the ride is pretty smooth compared to other cars, i think it might have something to do with the ride-hight. Since one is situated pretty high (almost a SUV-feeling), one doesnt feel all of the big bumps.

One thing i have noticed, specially in now in winter when it snows like h***[7], that the car is very low. That's ofcourse positive under normal driving conditions, the roadgrip is improved, but in mye case i often hear the car "scratch" into the snow underneath. This is on roads where a regular car wouldnt have any problems at all. As you might see in the pic below, the car is pretty much "in" the snow, but i'm not refering to problems parking the car in these conditions (i was in a hurry), but rather the "snowtrails" on the road. The car scratches into these trails.
MyA2InSnowThisWinter.jpg

All that said i think this problem might be reserved for us "up north", so you may not have to bother yourself about this.
Other than that the car is very comfortable, the german quality is absolotly there. I would recommend trying the car with regular seats/interior and the model with leather seats/interior. I found the leatherseats more comfortable, but thats my personal opinion;)

--
Bigshow
1,4Tdi SE

If you want to improve the ride comfort still further and raise the car up by about 8mm then try 175/65R15 tyres instead of the standard 175/60R15 tyres. The 65 profile ones are used on the new Mini and cost less than the 60 profile ones.

As the 175/65R15 tyres have a load index of 500kg compared to the 175/60R15 tyres 462kg, you can lower the tyre pressure by 0.076% (or about 2psi) [23]

quote:Originally posted by smartboost

If you want to improve the ride comfort still further and raise the car up by about 8mm then try 175/65R15 tyres instead of the standard 175/60R15 tyres. The 65 profile ones are used on the new Mini and cost less than the 60 profile ones.

As the 175/65R15 tyres have a load index of 500kg compared to the 175/60R15 tyres 462kg, you can lower the tyre pressure by 0.076% (or about 2psi) [23]

Reply to "smartboost. Many thanks - that sounds helpful - just hope I don't get a car with too much tread left, that takes an age to burn off! Are you 100% convinced that there are no problems with going to 175/65x15s?? And adding to my previous comments, does anybody have thoughts about one brand of tyre versus another, comfort and noise wise? And what about rear visibility - what are owners' feelings on that subject?

Oh, I'd like to step in for this 'rear visibility' subject.

Not to put you off in any way, but IMHO you have to know that 'in general' the visibility, in any direction in an A2 is quite poor, compared to a 'regular' car.
The rear window is quite narrow and distorts your rear-mirror view, because of it's shape. I also find it hard to judge where 'low' objects are while manoeuvering backwards.
The side view is also not too good. I find that the b-pillars are not in the best position for a quick peek over the shoulder.
The front view is the most discussed topics. The size and shape of the a-pillars cause a loss of visibility when cornering and entering roundabouts.

But, but, but.....!
This is not all bad!
Lots of cars are hard to drive when going backwards. The A2 is no exception. And the distortion in the mirror is very easy to get used too. The spoiler and lower quarter are not a problem either. Nor is the lack of a wiper
For better side visibility I just drive more 'pro-active', perhaps using my mirrors more often.
And for the best front visibility you just move you head a bit. Sideways, to to front, whatever it takes to fill in the blind spot.

I take it all for granted, just because the A2 is so nice in many other ways.

BTW: I did once almost run over a pedestrian that appeared 'out of nowhere' while I was passing a crossing. I even hit here heel with my bumper. Very freightening experience. Ever since I am very weary of pedestrian crossings. And on review of the situation, I can only conclude that the girl must have been running (in the dark too), to catch her train. And that she purposely ran between cars, possibly even from behind me. No amount of unrestricted front visibility could have helped me.

Hope that helps.

Okay. A small comment on ride comfort. I have the stock suspension, but with the 16" rims and 185/50 tires. The ride is somewhat firm, but without being sloppy. The Golf V that I'm currently temporarily driving passes less bumps and long rolls to the driver and is less 'wiggly' than the A2, but I still prefer my own car.
I think an A2 on any 15" wheels would pass on even less of the road bumps than mine. Even better, in your case.

Just my 2 cents!

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and on its merry way to Germany, ABT, to be chiptuned, finally!

Going from 175/60R15 to 175/65R15 is just like adding 8.75mm of tread onto the 175/60R15 tyre (at least from a dimension point of view).

I don't think you will have problems with rubbing because it is quite a modest difference. One owner who writes on this board went up from 205/40R17 (standard on the 17" wheel) to 215/40R17 without any problems.

I suggest changing just the 2 front tyres at first, to make sure that you are happy with the slightly increased gearing (just under 3%). As the tyres wear down this difference reduces, so that after 5mm of tread wear the outside tyre radius will only be 3.75mm more than a new 175/60R15 tyre.

If you are happy with the larger tyres on the front, you could swap them round to try them out on the rear before going for the full set of 4 175/65R15s

[24]

I think it's illegal to have different sized tyres on the fron and back !

2002 A2 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System - Silver - 225 TT ,Bose,6 Play, Cruise

No - Just side to side on the same axle. Or the Porche turbo would be illegal as would the Smart!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back