Ritch long term, lean lambda sensor 1 (1.4 aua - 2003)

ATO

Hello dear A2 lovers!
I'm a new owner of a little beauty and now I'm giving it some love!
I'm an enthusiast but I'm quite novice with working on the mechanics of cars and most of my knowledge is from youtube, so I'm very humble and keen to learn :)

It had fault codes and beeping alarm when I bought it, p0106 and p0170

I cleaned out the throttle body, cleaned the MAP sensor and changed the cam sensor, cleaned air filter(I've ordered a new one), checked the spark plugs (looked nice, all of them had the same colour) and changed two ignition coils.
The problem has now disappeared and I'm so glad to have a fuctioning cheap little car!

Though there are some remaining problems that I want to fix in order to make it as long lasting as possible.

When I look at the diagnostics tool I see the following:

Short term trim -10% to 0.8%
Long term trim-10.2%
lambda bank 1 sensor 1-0.02mA to -0.13mA (I don't know why it's not in volt)
lambda bank 1 sensor 20.05 to 0.075
MAP29 to 30 kPa
Ignition timing Advance cyl 12.5 - 7

I've looked at b1s1 lambda and it's clean and fresh, no rattling sound.
The MAP sensor is looking fresh as well.
When I drive (1850 RPM) the long term is -4.7% and short term is -33.6% witch also pussels me.
Also, I can't really make up my mind, but I think I smell petrol on the right side of the engine (standing facing the engine)

Things that I will do next:
change fuel filter
change fuel pressure regulator ( maybe clean first to see if it has any effect)

Do you have any suggestions?
Do you know how to translate the b1s1 reading from mA to V? Or if there is a chart where I can see what it's supposed to be?

Thank you! Looking forward to get to know this forum and my lovely Audi A2 :)

Last edited:
Hello dear A2 lovers!
I'm a new owner of a little beauty and now I'm giving it some love!
I'm an enthusiast but I'm quite novice with working on the mechanics of cars and most of my knowledge is from youtube, so I'm very humble and keen to learn :)

It had fault codes and beeping alarm when I bought it, p0106 and p0170

I cleaned out the throttle body, cleaned the MAP sensor and changed the cam sensor, cleaned air filter(I've ordered a new one), checked the spark plugs (looked nice, all of them had the same colour) and changed two ignition coils.
The problem has now disappeared and I'm so glad to have a fuctioning cheap little car!

Though there are some remaining problems that I want to fix in order to make it as long lasting as possible.

When I look at the diagnostics tool I see the following:

Short term trim-10% to 0.8%
Long term trim-10.2%
lambda bank 1 sensor 1-0.02mA to -0.13mA (I don't know why it's not in volt)
lambda bank 1 sensor 20.05 to 0.075
MAP29 to 30 kPa
Ignition timing Advance cyl 12.5 - 7

I've looked at b1s1 lambda and it's clean and fresh, no rattling sound.
The MAP sensor is looking fresh as well.
When I drive (1850 RPM) the long term is -4.7% and short term is -33.6% witch also pussels me.
Also, I can't really make up my mind, but I think I smell petrol on the right side of the engine (standing facing the engine)

Things that I will do next:
change fuel filter
change fuel pressure regulator ( maybe clean first to see if it has any effect)

Do you have any suggestions?
Do you know how to translate the b1s1 reading from mA to V? Or if there is a chart where I can see what it's supposed to be?

Thank you! Looking forward to get to know this forum and my lovely Audi A2 :)
Hi ATO, I had a similar issue with the petrol smell after the first time taking the throttle body off to clean it and was running a bit rich afterwards, it only needed calibrating with VCDS to fix it (Throttle Body Adaptation) ... also recommend a new metal gasket when you reinstall it.

Last edited:
Hi ATO, I had a similar issue with the petrol smell after the first time taking the throttle body off to clean it and was running a bit rich, it only needed calibrating with VCDS to fix it (Throttle Body Alignment) ... also recommend a new metal gasket when you replace it.
Nice! Thank you! I'll check that! ( link to exhaust system )
I have an ODB2 tool that has the choice "Erase EGR adaptions", is that the same as calibrating with VCDS?

Actually the gaskets are quite hard to find! Any idea of where to look? It would ideally be a shop that ships to EU and that sells gasket 5, 3, 16
I would like to change all the gaskets and lift off the "intermediate flange" (nr 2 036 133 255 E)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Any pictures of your newly acquired machine? Good luck sortig all the issues they dont sound too bad, seen a lot worse on here :)

Nice! Thank you! I'll check that! ( link to exhaust system )
I have an ODB2 tool that has the choice "Erase EGR adaptions", is that the same as calibrating with VCDS?

Actually the gaskets are quite hard to find! Any idea of where to look? It would ideally be a shop that ships to EU and that sells gasket 5, 3, 16
I would like to change all the gaskets and lift off the "intermediate flange" (nr 2 036 133 255 E)

Hi Ato, the throttle body gasket number is 036133161C and ordered from an Audi Dealership but probably common across Seat, Skoda and VW range, wasn't very expensive.

Or available from Autodoc:

I believe the EGR valve also needs 'adapting' if you have removed it for cleaning similar to the Throttle Body.
Sorry I don't know anything about the OBD2 tool, I took mine to an independent VAG before buying VCDS for myself, they scanned and done the 'throttle body adaptation' for £10 ... maybe someone close to where you live has VCDS?

Last edited:
It worked with the ODB2 tool! New values:
Short term -8% to 3.9%
Long term -7.8%

The o2 sensors still boggle me though, what's up with the low values? And that my reader gives me the o2 S1B1 as 0.02 mA to -0.12 mA?!?

Thanks for the info, I'll just call an audi dealership then :) For now though, I might just leave it so that I don't anger the gods hehe

Welcome to the forum! Any pictures of your newly acquired machine? Good luck sortig all the issues they dont sound too bad, seen a lot worse on here :)
Yes, I will give it some recond and some lovin' , then I'll put up some pictures here!

It worked with the ODB2 tool! New values:
Short term -8% to 3.9%
Long term -7.8%

The o2 sensors still boggle me though, what's up with the low values? And that my reader gives me the o2 S1B1 as 0.02 mA to -0.12 mA?!?

Thanks for the info, I'll just call an audi dealership then :) For now though, I might just leave it so that I don't anger the gods hehe
Hi ATO, that's useful info, so you can do a throttle body adaptation with OBD2 tool ... has the petrol smell disappeared, should maybe also be idling a bit steadier than if it's running rich?

Hi ATO, that's useful info, so you can do a throttle body adaptation with OBD2 tool ... has the petrol smell disappeared, should maybe also be idling a bit steadier than if it's running rich?
I forgot to sniff around, I'll check next time I'm by the car :)
Yes, the idle is a lot better, there is some rattling noice from the engine though that I don't know where it comes from!

I forgot to sniff around, I'll check next time I'm by the car :)
Yes, the idle is a lot better, there is some rattling noice from the engine though that I don't know where it comes from!
Is it maybe something like this?

Is it maybe something like this?
By god in heaven, it IS. Thank you so much! I will replace the clutch then! I've been thinking about it, just in ordet to get it a bit freshened up, but I thought that maybe I shouldn't just throw money on the car in the beginning until I get a feeling of the overall quality of the car. But it seems like it is a good idea now!
I've been looking around to see if there is a good video on how to do it, and I've found one made by a german girl, du you by any chance have any other resources?

Thank you

No.
Btw.: I cannot 100% confirm that this is a clutch problem, because I have not yet replaced the clutch.
It is on a non urgent to do list ;).

Update for others with the same problem:

The first problem was the EGR valve that needed cleaning and then readjustment with the ODB tool.
Problem number two was the air intake filter that hadn't been changed in a long time. I bought a new one the car is now running really smooth.

Thank you for all help!

Back