road stability: side wind

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jvdbrandt

When driving a high, light and little brave car it is ofcourse more likely to be more wiggly when there is a sidewind. But when i follow a fellow A2 on the highway i notice that my car (1.4 TDI X-Tend) is more susceptible for sidewind. Any logical explanation ...?

(Didn't hit any curbs by the way ).

Greetings,
J.

1.4 TDI X-tend dolphin grey

Hi J.,
In my opinion 'the ability to follow a straight line' is determined by a number of factors. So if you compare your own A2 to another, keep an eye on the following:
- model/year. Suspension (stiffness) has been altered on 2003+ models. And there is different suspension on diesels and petrols, combined with a different front/back weight balance. Even the steering ratio might have been slightly altered
- tire size. Wide tires with low side walls might make it easier to resist sideway forces like wind, but they also make it more difficult to stay out of the parallel tracks made by trucks.
- driver compentence ;)

So if you compare two A2's, make sure they are the same type, same model, same tires, have the same driver and are on the same road.

Ok, but theory aside, I too think that the A2 is quite susceptible to wind. And the light steering of an A2 is something you have to get used too. My girlfriend, who doesn't drive the A2 often, almost swerves from side to side!

I'm curious to hear about other's explanation.

BTW: didn't your 'X-Tend' version have additional sideskirts/spoilers? Or twin exhausts?

CU,
Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and on its merry way to Germany, ABT, to be chiptuned, finally!

The A2 is affected by sidewind - high sides and lightweight construction - but not half as much as our smart - 2.5m long, 750 kg and a roofline higher than the A2. Sometimes its like piloting a light aircraft in a force 6!!

Thanx Edo,

Will check my tire size.
Laat trouwens eens iets weten of je TDI upgrade je bevalt... Is ie dan vergelijkbaar met de nieuwe TDI 90 pk? De euro - IV norm zal ie wel niet halen...

Greetz

1.4 TDI X-tend dolphin grey

Hi, now don't start talking Dutch where we are not supposed to :)

But I'll definately comment on my Abt chip soon, in a separate topic. I'll have to write up a story on how the procedure went, but I haven't taken the time yet.
In a few words: a chipped Tdi is AMAZING! Pulls and pulls without end. Incredible difference. From what I've read on this forum about the new 90bhp tdi, this should be similar indeed.

And good luck in keeping your own A2 on a straight line...

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back