Rubber under wiper arm

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
Today an autoglass man came and fitted a new windscreen. I washed the car over the weekend and forgot to check if the small rubber bung was in place under the wiper arm...it wasn't. The result was the arm hitting the screen hard causing a large irrepairable crack. Not wanting to buy a new arm at £99 I pulled out the rubber from a pencil and cut it in half. It was then superglued into the correct position and seems to work well.

Attachments

• IMG-20180717-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20180717-WA0011.jpeg
    952.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG-20180717-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20180717-WA0013.jpeg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 251
I stuck double sided gorilla tape on mine and only peeled off the one side.
Stopped it scratching further. I gave the arm a good twist too. Top in bottom out.

До 2002 года такие резиновые ленты были поставлены, а затем просто «щенки»,

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 227
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 242
Today an autoglass man came and fitted a new windscreen. I washed the car over the weekend and forgot to check if the small rubber bung was in place under the wiper arm...it wasn't. The result was the arm hitting the screen hard causing a large irrepairable crack. Not wanting to buy a new arm at £99 I pulled out the rubber from a pencil and cut it in half. It was then superglued into the correct position and seems to work well.

Whilst this will put it off or limit damage I'd suggest replacing the rivets to stop the sag over time - instead of my ham fisting it I sent to Deproman and he did it for me :)

If you are using rubber or tape etc. to stop the scratching, surely that means that the rubber will contact the screen and lift the arm slightly and reduce the pressure on the blade?

There are three options
Best solution (funds allowing of course) -Buy a new arm
Next best solution (if you have the capability and time) - Repair the rivets
Best TEMPORARY solution until you can do one of the first two options - Bend the arm away from the screen by twisting as mentioned above.

If the rubber is being fitted to protect the screen if the arm should spring back, then that is not a bad idea as long as it does not touch the screen under normal wiper operation. (and if it was scratching the screen then fitting rubber etc. will definitely lift the blade as it touches).

Steve B

Last edited:
I measured it up Steve and cut the rubber accordingly so it wouldn't touch the screen whilst wiping.

So you are using it to protect the screen if you should accidentally let the arm spring back into position while cleaning the screen etc?

That is a good tip of course, but I would wonder if it will save that, because it can come back with some serious force if you let it go.

As I say, if it does not touch the screen in a normal wipe operation then it was no longer scratching the screen without the rubber.

But I can see how "belt and braces" is worth it, screens are expensive and scratches are very annoying.

Steve B

My screen cracked today, it's the second time a merchanic has given my car back to me with a new crack to it. Is it the car being slammed/dropped of the ramp? Apparently my oss could have started opening if was this.
Is it the summer heat that could have done it??
Could you tell me please how much Autoglass charged you???

Certainly...I went through my insurance company. They gave me the phone number for autoglass and I rang them to make an appointment. Autoglass took £75 off my card over the phone as part of my agreed insurance excess. I think this may be the usual fee with most insurance company's.

if you don't have glass cover on your insurance (unlikely) then you can normally do a cash sale with Autoglass or the like for a screen fitted for around £150 (not an Audi original though, but still good quality and if fitted correctly they are as good as Audi's)

if you don't have glass cover on your insurance (unlikely) then you can normally do a cash sale with Autoglass or the like for a screen fitted for around £150 (not an Audi original though, but still good quality and if fitted correctly they are as good as Audi's)
Nope I got one and it’s crap. Got make a warranty claim on my things to do list. The grip at the bottom disintegrates and allows water underneath the trim onto your engine and gearbox etc. Multiple problems result.

Back