Running-in period

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kslevi

Having had my new car for a week now, and seeing that there are a few people expecting delivery soon, I thought it would be good to see how and what owners did to maintain their engines etc in the first stages of the cars life?

I am changing up as soon as poss, and keep below 3000RPM, I accelerate gently and havent been above 60 yet.

I think the engine seems to be going well, and the gear change is fine-but these may just be me getting used to the car.
I have now done 190 mile (only used half a tank from when I picked the car up with 22 miles on clock!)
Oh, and my service indicator still says service in 9300, will this change?

I've got to take the car back next week to have the service module fixed (it wont open) but this is the only problem so far!

Sound system is excellent (standard 2003 SE system) and I am very pleased with the car.

Soon to be 03 A2 1.4 SE in Cobalt blue, black interior, Climate Control, Winter Pack

Hi kslevi,

quote: I am changing up as soon as poss, and keep below 3000RPM, I accelerate gently and havent been above 60 yet.

This is normal driving for an A2 owner. Even after 9000 miles, I am still finding myself changing up before 3000rpm. :D:D

I remember reading Steve (Runboys) comments about his service indicator. Did a quick search and found from his previous posts, that after 2000 miles his was reading service in 17000 miles. Of course, it depends upon driving style, however I recommend you leave it for a few more miles (say 2000) and see what it reads then.

Kaine

P.S. Steves' is a 1.4SE Petrol too.

Yes the service indicator will change. In most case it should go up, especially after a long journey.

Note that the 'strange' value of 9300 equates to the 15,000 km default start point.

Ours came back today and says the same thing. We do lots of short journeys so it may just stick on this value for a bit before falling. I'll let you know.

Dave
1.4SE -> 1.6SE eight weeks and counting

I drove gently for about 1000 miles. Remember not to let the engine labour. High revs are not a problem, it's hard aceleration or revs that are too low under load (below 1500 rpm) that do more damage. It's also better not to drive at constant speed for long periods in the early days.

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

I expect there will be a hundred different opinions on how to best run in the engine etc on a new car. For me the number one trick is to avoid all short journeys (cold starts), and to help the situation by going off on numerous 50 mile trips. In these situations I do not believe its good to cruise at the same speed, so some variety is the better choice.

Providing the car (A2) has a couple of hundred miles on the clock I see nothing wrong in doing 90mph – however in the early stages high revs in any gear should only last a very brief while. I do not know if the myth stands scrutiny, but many say that if a car is very delicately driven in the early stages its likely to suffer from lustre and gusto in later years. Anyway I see some sense in such comments, hence the reason of promoting a variety in speed.

I suppose if I really had a top tip it would be to check the oil level very frequently. The last thing a new car wants is a low oil level.

To keep the engine at its best (for those proposing to keep their cars for many years to come), then Shell “Optimax” must be the best petrol, and Shell “Pura” for the dirty diesel lovers. Both of these fuels greatly reduce carbon build up, whilst keeping cleaner exhaust emissions.

Regards
John Disdale

When I picked up my Fiat from the dealers, their advice was that if you want a fast, loose car, wheelspin it off their forecourt & if you wanted it for 100K then drive it sensibly.

Don't know if there is any advice from Audi themselves about running in.

P.S. my Fiat is fast & loose but I'll try and behave with the A2.

Almost a 1.4SE in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Kaine-yes, that's right. My servie indicator started off low, then by the time my first A2 had done 2500 miles, the service indicator was up to around the 17,000 mile mark-good going for a lot of town driving.

I've just had to start the same process again wiht number 2!. I'm currently showing 7300miles to service with approx 350 miles on the clock.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

kslevi

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the car.

I think all the advice above is good. In particular, I would agree that if you do only short journeys, you find an excuse to put in a few longer journeys.

Also once warm I would defintiely work the engine as per JD up to 75-80 - but obviously take your time getting up to that speed!

Enjoy.

Jon

Funnily enough this afternoon I have been out practising what I preach, and having regard that the Golf manual recommends not exceeding 3000 revs within the first 800 miles I did smile when at around 2800 revs I was cruising like a bird at 100mph. What on earth will I be getting at 4500 revs. Its crazy.

Regards
John Disdale

As you know Audi say nothing in their literature about how to run in a car.

I found that the mpg on my diesel started off low (first tank was 48mpg,) and by 2000 miles had reached 59mpg on average, where it hsa stayed since. Ask yourself why the mpg starts off low....

I'd suggest you be gentle with your car until it has covered 2000 miles.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back