Rusted wheel hub

humps

A2OC Donor
I need to resolve a little problem (before getting Koni FSDs installed) with my driver side front wheel as it won't come off. Looks like wheel hub rust and it may break if I yank it out. My other front wheel hub was broken like that at the dealer when changing breaks. I don't want to end up going to Stealth Racing by car and return by train because I need a new new hub... Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm going to try taking it out with some WD40. I will also recommend spraying some WD40 on the hub to prevent it from rusting.

If the hub is all rusted, I suppose I need to replace it anyway? IIRC, the part isn't that expensive.

the only way i know of freeing a seized wheel is to whack the inner face of the tyre with a large mallet, or in my case i use a 5 lb brick bolster hammer. then turn a little bit until the wheel frees off. I understand that you may be worried about the wheel i can only assume that at the dealers they were whacking the wheel rim and not the tyre. To prevent futrure occurence smeare the mating surfaces of the wheel and the disc/hub with copper ease grease or similar . this will not be a problem with braking as it is high melting point and in case not near the braking surfaces.
Kind regards Paul

humps said:
I need to resolve a little problem (before getting Koni FSDs installed) with my driver side front wheel as it won't come off. Looks like wheel hub rust and it may break if I yank it out. My other front wheel hub was broken like that at the dealer when changing breaks. I don't want to end up going to Stealth Racing by car and return by train because I need a new new hub... Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm going to try taking it out with some WD40. I will also recommend spraying some WD40 on the hub to prevent it from rusting.

If the hub is all rusted, I suppose I need to replace it anyway? IIRC, the part isn't that expensive.

hi humps we at stealth have done lots and lots of rusted wheels we get them all the time got a very good spray for that sort of job
all you have to do is hit it with a rubber malet till it is free
they will look after you and your A2
as skipton says we are not dealers we care
cheers
robin

Last edited:
Humps, just take yourself down to Stealth and let the guys down there sort you out.

Vince, John, Robin and everyone else WILL do a good job and you WON'T be going home on the train - I speak from experience, they are good guys who are not just out to make a profit, but actually care about the work they do for you.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Humps

It's probably worth waiting till you go to Stealth but if you'r desperate an old trick is to slightly loosen the wheel nuts and drive the car a few yards moving the steering wheel side to side then check if the hub has loosened off. Obviously it's very dangerous to drive any distance once the wheel is loose so don't overdo it

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike, that certainly sounds dangerous but something I would dare to try too!! But since they guys at Stealth comes with such reputation, I will just take the car there :) I start to think the guys at the dealer were simply whacking the hell out of my wheel and the hub broke.

Back