Rusty brake drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

IQ

has anyone done anything to theirs.
Can they be painted?

Black 2001 A2 with 16" 6 spoke, Open sky system, xenon lights, and concert single cd.
Tha Best

yep
the rear drums can be painted i painted mine in silver hammerite.
Has no problems taking the temperature even when i painted the front brakes.
No nasty smells from melting paint!!
I think you can buy caliper paint designed for painting the braking components of a car.
Probably buy it from halfords of Motorworld some type of shop like that.
Just don't paint the mating part of the drum to wheel since this can affect wheel balance.

Cheers

andy[:p]

A.D.Simmons

what do you mean by the mating part of the drum to wheel?
is that where the drum is againt the wheel when attached?

Black 2001 A2 with 16" 6 spoke, Open sky system, xenon lights, and concert single cd.
Tha Best

Having just done mine, I took some photos of the process and will submit them as a fitting guide on the main site soon.
This will hopefully show that with a tin of Hammerite or Smoothrite and the cars own wheel change kit, no-one need put up with the shoddy finish from Audi, which will rust without fail in as little as six months!

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

the mating part is where the wheel bolts upto the drum or hub of the car.
ie ( the front face of the drum where the 5 holes are for the wheel bolts).
Similarly on the front face of the hub on the front wheels where the 5 holes are for the wheel bolts.

Hope this help on where not to paint

Cheers

Andy

A.D.Simmons

VERY NICE !!
how long did it take for you to complete painting them.
Took me i think 3 hours to do all 4 wheels including trying to slacken off the wheels bolts that seem to weld themselves to the hub/ drum of the car.

Cheers

Andy;)

A.D.Simmons

2 hours, of which 45 mins was waiting for the paint to dry... :)

i had a big help in the lift, 'cos it meant that i could do each wheel, one after another...

Bret

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
2002, Petrol 1.4, 17", sports suspension, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back