sat nav failure

a2lxx

Does any one else have factory fit sat nav on an A2? Mine has failed (out of warranty), and will not let me get beyond the destination screen. The push button which controls it still works to change the radio station, so the fault appears to be somewhere in the sat nav itself, and is not mechanical. Audi qoute £1000 to replace the whole unit. Anyone have any idea how to get this repaired at a reasonable price, rather than replaced? James.

Sounds like you have either a disc fault (with the actual cd itself, dirty/scratched) or a drive fault.

If the former, then obviously an easy fix, with any of the commercially available cleaners. If the latter, you could be in trouble, because as I'm sure you're aware, these units are generally cheaper to replace rather than repair - depressing but true.

It may be worth considering taking the opportunity to upgrade to and RNS-E unit.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi A2lxx, welcome to the A2oc

Skipton's suggestion of an upgrade to RNS-E is very sensible (as always) but if you prefer to keep your car standard then it's possible to buy a second hand sat nav unit from another more popular model (A6 for example) and change the faceplate over - see link
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=928

If the disc cleaning process does not work then as a last resort you could try disconnecting / reconnecting the power. Don't forget to have the radio code handy.

Cheers Spike

Back