Sat Nav power socket

ajsellors

A2OC Donor
When I use my Sat Nav, I have it mounted on a dash mount in the space by the front driver's side quarter light window where it fits neatly.

What was less neat however was connecting it to the 12v power socket by the handbrake leaver as it required an extension cable routed around the cabin and I would need to unplug it when not in use to ensure that the battery would not be drained while the engine wasn't running.

To improve this I have fitted an additional power socket which is connected to the switched 12v ignition feed so that the Sat Nav power cord can remain plugged in at all times.

The feed for the new socket is taken from "75X" circuit fed by the "X Contact Relief Relay". This provides a switched power feed and is used by other car systems to prevent high current loads being switched directly by the ignition key switch.
To connect to this feed, I tapped into the black with yellow striped wire at the main fuse box.

This is connected to an in-line fuse holder and then a two pin socket. The ground negative connection comes from the adjacent chassis earth point.

DSC04097.jpg

The socket is mounted onto the underside of the removable trim panel below the steering wheel. To keep the socket and cables away from pedals and feet, it is mounted in the far corner behind the service flap release handle.

The socket is strapped in place using zip ties with a small amount of hot glue added to prevent the ties from slipping:

DSC04092.jpgDSC04094.jpg

The connector on the cable allows the trim panel to be easily removed if needed. An application of cloth loom tape on the side of the socket and zip ties ensure that no noise is made should this rub against the side trim.

Once in place, the connector fits neatly above the gap filler next to the accelerator pedal.

DSC04113.jpg

Socket with Sat Nav power connector:

DSC04112.jpg

The cable can be routed out of the way by utilising the space opened up by temporarily removing the filler piece between the end of the dash and the door frame. This can be easily removed and the excess cable tucked in the space behind.

regards

Andrew

Nicely done I have fitted a double USB socket under the ashtray which I must wire up.

That factory cigarette lighter socket is in a rubbish place.

cool idea, I've done a similar thing by 3D printing a panel to fit in the useless cubby hole under the A/C panel and just above the ash tray. I it I have a 2 port usb charger and a Bluetooth FM transmitter which works incredibly well. I wanted a switched 12 volt feed to the above two devices, but I couldn't find one from the fuse box. The best I could find was the green 30 amp fuse lower middle from memory. This works OK if the key is turned a just a little i.e. just before the ignition light come on, not ideal, but appears to be working

Paul

Back