save the planet? real world ECOnomy A2 style

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecoangel

thot you'd like to hear a bit of banter I've been having with our american cousins regarding vehicle fuels and emissions. Check out www.insightcentral.net and www.insightman.com for some great stuff about the Honda Insight and Civic hybrid petrol electric cars - former is capable of 83mpg (UK) and 80g/km CO2 emissions - but the A2 1.2 TDI / VW Lupo 3L and Seat Arosa 3L are in there with 81 to 86 g/km and similar consumption!

;)

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 4:26 PM
Subject: Fw: Low Carbon emmisions from motor vehicles

Hi there!

Hey great job on an excellent Honda Insight website!

I like the concept but I must say I was put off this car when I visited your fair country last September (2002). I flew into LAX and went to Budget to hire a car - they had the GM EV1 and Honda Insight available. I got the Insight - threw my huge ruck sack in the back - and smaller bag in the trunk and drove off looking forward to environmentally effecient and fun travel - I passed the check out barrier and turned towards Airport Bvd and Imperial Hwy - but then things went downhill - the car started to misfire and lurch - loots of flashing lights appeared on the dashboard and the electric windows went up and down - I stopped immediately and turned the ignition off - then tried again - nothing - even the windows stayed down. Now, 11pm in LA in a broken down car is not my idea of fun! Alas i had to leave the car and grab my belongings and trek back to Budget who appologised - sent for a tow truck and meantime got me another car - that epitome of American consumption! - a Ford Mustang! and that for 20 bucks a day less than the Insight! Crazy world.

Oh well - I was hoping for better as I'd had such fun in my Mk1 MR2 for several years and wanted to drive another japanese coupe around.

The car has sold 200 copies here in the UK - where 5speed manual and air con are standard. It gets a £1000 grant (1500US) from the UK Govt when bought new but even with that reduction costs around £16000 (24000US).

Now I'm home I've just invested in another amazingly efficient car - we pay 4.55 US Dollars per US galllon over here (80 pence per litre) so mpg is very important.

It's an Audi A2 1.2 TDI - not available in UK or US but everywhere in europe.

Here's some general info:

New price in Europe : 18500 Euro (17800 USD)
I paid approx .£9500 (14250US) for an 18 month old example with 9000 miles on it from an Audi dealer in Germany.

Cd (drag coeff) 0.25 - same as Insight but this baby can carry 4 adults and their luggage.

Aluminium body - 855 kg empty - max wt 1225 kg

61bhp/140NM from 1800 thro 2400 rpm from 1191cc 3 cylinder turbo diesel - (cf Insight 76 bhp/113NM at 2000rpm)

81 to 86 g/km CO2 (cf Insight 80 g/km)

Euro 3 version: (aircon, powersteering, etc...)

CO 0.228 g/km
NOx: 0.240 g/km
HC+ NOx 0.261 g/km
Particulates: 0.0021g/km

Fuel consumption: 2.80 to 3.80 ltrs / 100km or 88 to 101 mpg. This is for a 4 seater, 5 door hatchback capable of 0-60mph in 14 secs and 106 mph on the autobahn.

The Euro 4 version has a bench rear seat and no air con or power steering but is capable of better mpg and lower emissions - particulate trap etc....

Now about your arguement over the VW Beetle TDI - yes it's worse than the Insight on Smog emissions but the reason it is so much more efficient than the petrol Beatle has nothing to do with volumes of fuel!

All chemical energy is based on calorific values not density or volumes! The truth is Petroleum (US gas) and Diesel have very similar calorific values.

Diesel power is more efficient because:Diesel engines combust fuel through compression alone (800 deg C at 750 psi). Petrol requires spark plugs.
The higher the compression ratio, the higher the thermodynamic efficiency so diesel engines have much higher compression ratios (18 to 24 to 1 cf petrol 9 to 13 to 1). Petrol is more liable to "pinking"/detonation as it is more volatile. A petrol engine typically returns 25 to 30 % thermal efficency comapred with 40 to 50 (truck engines) percent for diesel.
Diesel fuel is injected into the cylinder at very high pressure in neat form - whereas petrol requires a specific fuel/air mix and associated swirl depending on driver demands. This also means there are fewer pumping losses as the downward motion of the piston is not resisted by the vacuum of a partially closed throttle valve. As the piston passes TDC on the expansion stroke, diesel can be pumped in for longer than the comparable petrol engine example giving a more sustained power stroke - which enhances torque at lower engine speeds.
For a given amount of work, around a third less diesel is required cf petrol. Yes diesel is denser (heavier per litre or gallon) but it's calorific value is much the same - it's more compact!
Diesel is a simpler fuel requiring less energy in the distillation process than petrol.
Safety: It has a much higher boiling point and is less flammable at ambient temperatures (eg: auto accident)
Reliability/Durability: Diesel is greasy, smelly stuff! It doesn't evaporate at the earliest opportunity but it is a lubricant (petrol is a cutting fluid!)which combined with lower rpms used per mile is why diesel engines last longer and emit relatively constant emissions throughout their lives cf petrol which worsens with age.
The advent of Bio diesel is not the entire answer but it offers a unique way of reducing overall carbon consumption by changing the cycle at source

Anyway keep up the good work! Now if Honda would do a diesel hybrid Insight........ hmmmmmm!

If you would like to know more about my car please contact me:

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK

Lukas,

Thank you for the kind comments about our web site. I'm sure you realize that renting from Budget is far from the best way to really appreciate the Insight. Customers rarely treat their rental cars as they would their own. Negligence, excessive use and other factors are probably responsible (at least partially) for the problems you describe. We hear from Insight owners everyday and problems are few and far between, and usually very minor.

The production of a diesel-based hybrid is highly unlikely. I agree that diesel cars can be efficient but, as I'm sure you're aware, another driving force behind hybrids is low emissions, and diesel vehicles are notoriously high polluters and greatly contested by all the major environmental groups. For this reason, auto manufacturers are increasing gasoline-electric hybrid models (Lexus, Acura and others have some in the works) and are looking towards fuel-cell vehicles as the next step (Honda just delivered its first fleet to the City of Los Angeles).

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Benjamin Young
InsightCentral.net news editor
[email protected]

Lukas,

Thanks for your undeserved praise for my website.
I've been too busy and there hasn't been much Insight news
for me to post so it's languished.

This week marks the end of my third year of ownership and
I'm so happy I never experienced the problems you had with
your rental Insight. In fact, I've never heard of any Honda with
such problems. I can't even imagine one component that
could cause all those bizarre and seemingly unrelated problems.

I've admired the A2 from abroad since Audi produced it. It's
no surprise it doesn't have a place in this SUV-crazy nation.
I agree, an Insight with a turbodiesel could get an amazing
number of kilometers per liter, but the US is certain that
the particulates (soot) produced by diesel engines constitute
a carcinogen. It's really California that drives the clean-car
initiatives over here and they really don't like diesels.

You made an excellent choice with the A2. I'm disappointed
that Honda couldn't make the Civic Hybrid exceed the fuel
economy of the Toyota Prius and I'm disappointed that, instead
of incorporating the cylinder-shut-off technology of the Civic
Hybrid into an Insight II, Honda's discontinuing the Insight
altogether. It will be a long time before we US car buyers
can purchase a car with equivalent fuel economy and
clean-burning emissions.

In retrospect, I would have returned the rental Insight
for the GM EV-1, which is another casualty of the SUV-crazy
public over here. It would have been an interesting
experience.

Have a great day in your A2 (even though it's one of the few
cars whose doors my Insight could blow off)!

Sincerely,

JohnE Johnson
Ann Arbor, MI
[email protected]

Hi John,

Yes it's you yanks and those big tanks your nation loves (SUVs etc) that make it hard for us Euros to understand the anti diesel
stance people like the EPA have.

Research this side of the pond suggests that the carcinogenic particluates to worry about most are the ultrafine variety produced by
Petrol engines! - the more obvious diesel particulates can be trapped relatively simply.

It is widely acknowledged that the USA could reduce it's oil use by around 800 million gallons and CO2 emissions by 8 million tons
per annun if americans bought diesels at the same rate as europeans.

There are still NOx issues with diesel but this could be alieviated with electric or LPG hybrids - with Fuel Cell infastructure
still 5 to 40 years away, it's worth considering current technology as a stop gap! I'm glad that the city of LA is taking steps
towards the fuel cell - but the cost to your average user is prohibitive and at the moment impractical.

Happy eco driving!

Lukas Will****s
BENG hons Aeronautical Engineering
www.angelorange.com

PS you wrote:

> Have a great day in your A2 (even though it's one of the few
> cars whose doors my Insight could blow off)!

Maybe from a standing start but 30 to 50 mph or 50 to 70 mph, I reakon my 140NM (103lbft torque) spread evenly between 1800 and 2400
rpm would soon see me sailing past with 5 piece drum kit and the drummer in the pax seat! see my website for music stuff!

Have a nice day!

oh and check out www.audi-a2.co.uk and www.a2forum.net

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK

Lukas,

I'm rolling on the floor laughing!
You make some good points about the particulates.
Thanks for the beautiful photo, too.

John

(I sent John a shot of A2 1.2 TDI - soon to appear on www.audi-a2.co.uk - watch that space!)

Has the Seat Arosa 3L ever been produced? I thought it had been cancelled because the Lupo 3L didn't sell that well.

Martin

It was available in the old body style for a while - Diesel Car magazine tested it in 2001 and siad it was heavier than Lupo 3L but still hugely econimical. I don't think there was a Mk2 version....

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK

After I've read all your posts, I'd like to add another argument:

The Diesel particles are a carcinogen [1]. But the particles are a local and a short-term problem. After a few years, they are washed away by rain and are no longer a problem. But CO2 will stay in the atmosphere for millions of years and will cause global weather changes. That's why I think it's ok to reduce CO2 emissions at the cost of some particles (and have hence bought the 1.2 TDI :)

Martin

[1] Greenpeace is sueing several german car manufactorer for manslaughter because they don't do anything against the particles, although filtering technology exists and is already used by Peugeot.

I agree martin,

The technology is there to eleiminate diesel particles - they are large enough to trap using technology used by Peugoet and soon VW. The ultra fine particles from petrol are also carcinogenic and this is why in the ISA all the gas station pumps are fitted with extractor units to remove the fumes from the users face! If you spill petrol these paricles evaporate into the atmosphere - in fact any leak in a car's fuel system has the same problem - even if the car just sits there unsused.

Diesel is much less volatile and if spilled it does not evaporate. But it is very slippery and reponsible for many road accidents (especially for motorcyclists in wet weather).

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK

The biggest issue with diesel isn't so much visible particulates but invisible NOx emissions that are higher than petrol cars but where the NOx for a petrol car gets worse and worse as the km/miles add up, the diesel engine is consitent throughout it's life - mostly due to more efficient burn and less engine wear than petrol engined cars.

The USA is very skeptical about CO2 emissions and doesn't believe in global warming. They keep talking about hydrogen powered cars but fail to recognise the energy required to make the hydrogen and build the H2 gas stations and cars.......

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK

I share the USA's scepticism about CO2 since 1) the sea acts as a stabiliser and absorbs/emits CO2 depending on the partial pressures of the atmosphere, 2) the earth has been a lot warmer in the past (man was not responsible for it then), 3) it is likely (IMHO) that the minor changes in orbit around the sun and angle of the earth's axis could be causing the warming but no-one has been able to assess it.

What we should really be concerned about is the rate our friends across the pond are burning the fossil fuel, when it's gone it's gone!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

quote:Originally posted by ianjohnsonws14
we should really be concerned about is the rate our friends across the pond are burning the fossil fuel, when it's gone it's gone!

I worry more about them starting a war to retrieve some more fuel...

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I hope Mr Bush takes a leaf out of Blair's book entitled "How to rip off motorists with high fuel taxation". That ought to get American's worried!!

I agree - twas interesting to hear his plans to promote Hydrogen powered fuel cell vehicles on CNN the other night - everyone in the media (except Torygraph testeres of Ford Focus Fuel Cell m/c)sees this as the panecea for all our fuel/pollution troubles - but the cars are all prototypes except for a small Honda in use in LA and even Bush sees them as 15 years away. Skeptics say more like 20 to 30 years to get the infrastructure in place.

The current cars are 10 times more expensive than petrol cars (so £120,000 anyone?) and most articles fail to mention the source of the H2 - the most common source is from.....fossil fuels like coal!

So then we have pollution from the power stations - which I guess is less exhaust pipes to try to regulate than cars....hmmmmmm!

I still think Bio Diesel and APrticulate traps are the best bet for then next 5 to 10 years....

Now if Audi UK would just import the 1.2 TDI A2 !

hee hee!

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back