SE Wheel hub cap trim

moondevil

Can anyone give me the part number and a reputable seller of the wheel trim on standard SE 16" wheels (the plastic middle bit) as one of mine was last seen rolling across the middle lane of the M25 near Dartford :rolleyes:

moondevil said:
Can anyone give me the part number and a reputable seller of the wheel trim on standard SE 16" wheels (the plastic middle bit) as one of mine was last seen rolling across the middle lane of the M25 near Dartford :rolleyes:
I can't give you the part number, as I don't have the parts catalogue with me at the moment.

However, in terms of a reputable retailer, either your local dealer, or www.vagparts.com are the best 2 options.

If you pull off one of the existing caps, you'll find the part number stamped inside.

They aren't cheap though, so be warned.

Cheers,

Mike

save your cash mate

moondevil hold your horses i have 4 of those caps, if you want me to send you the best one i can do no problems.

PM me we can sort it out, i have no need for em as our A2 came with wolfrace alloys.

B****Y H***L!!!

Wish I'd known that before I just ordered two from my local dealer. Apparently there's only two in the UK at the mo!

Been watching eBay for months now and never seen any for sale without the wheels.

Two of mine have been damaged by numbskulls trying to remove them in several places with a screwdriver and water's got under the lacquer on the chrome.

Just found the hub cap removal tool under the tool kit molding, so having just bought a compressor and tyre glue on eBay I now have a complete toolkit for the first time!.........Even the securing strap was hidden under the molding!

brand new A2 owner - caps

hi.. new A2 TDI today.. love it already... but time to start smartening up: caps are tarnished... the alloys are 16" 6 spokes... cap p/n 8z0 601 165E.. when i type this in on vagparts.com i get pn8D0601165EZ17 which is similar but not identical

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onea...nid=1546cc9c49992ee/shopdata/index.shopscript

mine are slightly different, being 138mm diameter with one large grey centre circle dia118mm with chrome outside ring ~10mm.

does anyone know if pn 8D0601165EZ17 is interchangable.. or has anyone sourced pn 8z0 601165E

many thanks
graeme

Last edited:
Hello Graeme,

THe part number you quote (the 8Z one) has been dropped and replaced with 8Z0 601 165F Z17. They are readily available from all dealers at £15.51 each.

The 8D one is incompatible.

Cheers,

Mike

On the subject of the wheel trims - does anyone know why they deteriorate so quickly or is it just ours? At least a couple will need replacing soon because of what looks like alloy oxidiation even though they are plastic.

Cheers

On the subject of the wheel trims - does anyone know why they deteriorate so quickly or is it just ours? At least a couple will need replacing soon because of what looks like alloy oxidiation even though they are plastic.

Cheers

You mean the shiny silver bit?

I had that on mine but after using Wonderwheels, it looks as good as new. I'd always used the Halfords wheel cleaner up until then, but it wouldn't touch the muck on the trims.

Give it a go - might save you a few quid.

Cheers,

Mike

You mean the shiny silver bit?

I had that on mine but after using Wonderwheels, it looks as good as new. I'd always used the Halfords wheel cleaner up until then, but it wouldn't touch the muck on the trims.

Give it a go - might save you a few quid.

Cheers,

Mike

I think so Mike, its the outer edge of the centre wheel trim. I've tried to attach a pic to clarify. It seems to be lifting the transparent coating.

Cheers

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

My Oz wheel centre caps went exactly the same way. I believe that water penetrates the lacquer coating and cause the corrosion that you see.

Unfortunately, there is no way to restore them once they get to this stage. It is a case of replacing them with new ones or as I did, spraying them and lacquering them again yourself.

Hope this helps, though it offers no 'quick fix'.

Cheers,

Darren

Thanks Darren

I wonder whether its covered by the anti-perf warranty? Although the chances of me going back to a dealer, other than for parts I can't get elsewhere, are pretty slim, given the treatment I got last time, so probably not worth the bother.

Cheers

Jonathan,

I forgot to add that this also happened to the genuine audi centre caps from my standard 15" rims too. At the point of the corrosion, the wheels would only have been around 12 months old and Audi did replace them all under warranty.

I guess it will be worth a go, but my guess is that they will try to wriggle out of a warranty claim if the car is beyond 'x' years of age.

Cheers,

Darren

Back