SE wheels centre cap refurb.

Rich2508

Not wanting to pay the price for the last remaining centre caps, decided to have a go at refurbishing mine today. Tackled the worst one first, thought if couldn't get the polished finsh back after removing all the lacquer I would paint them.

To be honest, not come up too bad, I haven't lacquered them as thought I clean the wheels every week and have protected with wax, so see how they will last as they are.

Firstly masked off the centre part and then put tank tape over the masking tape to stop any damaged if I slipped with the Dremel whilst sanding/polishing (glad I did as my hand slipped and I went through the first layer of tape...)

Using a sanding wheel, removed all of the damaged lacquer and the good bits, take care not to use too an aggressive grit sandpaper or a wire wheel as it will damage the thin alloy.

Then moved onto medium wire wool, then 600 grit wet and dry, then 2000 grit and finally used a cotton wheel in my Dremel with autosol to get the shine back.

Took over an hour but quite satisfying. One tip, if you aren't quite satisfied with the finish, go and put it on the car as it will look so much better on the wheel than close up in your hand.

image_zpsyd7hwm3o.jpeg

Last edited:
Topmarks. I'm uming and Erring about a possible rechrome. This looks to be a good alternative. Will give it a go when I try polishing up my headlights. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back