seat bolster repair

Hi All,

I'm new to A2 ownership and this forum. I've just picked up an 04 TDI Sport and the driver's side outer bolster is very saggy in the usual high-mileage way.
It seems that a replacement driver's Sport seat is going to be a tricky thing to find, has anyone ever tried a foam bolster replacement?
On another thread here it implies that there is a replacement foam bolster available from Audi, but I'm not confident in my ability to replace it without making a hash of things - I'd rather leave it as-is than make more of a mess of it, unless it's pretty straightforward.

Does anyone have any experience of repairing or replacing the bolster?

Thanks, Steve

Welcome!
What colour of trim does your car have? There are an awful lot of A2s being broken up at the moment - several through this forum in fact, and I'm sure there will be some spare seats knocking about as a result. Might well be easier to swap an entire set of seats!

Hi Steve, and welcome to the A2OC.

The fact that your car has Sport seats means that finding a replacement set as Dan suggests could take some condiderable time. Sport seats are fairly desirable and rarely available, though they do suffer from wear to the outside bolsters as you've described.
Audi can indeed supply a replacement bolster. If you're not confident in your abilities to take the seat apart and put it back together again (which I fully understand!) then taking the seats to a trimmers could be the solution. Trimmers are used to taking them apart in order to cover them in leather...

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for the replies.
Dan - the seats are black (with white Matrix pattern).
I've just looked at the seat again and it's not too bad, just that I'm a little anal about these things.. Perhaps I'll enquire about parts costs and see if a local fitter would do something with it for me. Who's good for parts like this nowadays-anyone online or do I have to stick with the dealers?

If my memory serves me correctly the sports bolster from audi is ....... £85. This is the foam piece only. cheers mike

Well, that's not much use, is it? You would obviously need the seat fabric restored, too! I would have thought that it would be quite easy to shape some suitable foam into the correct profile? I have just acquired a full set of these very seats with exactly the same defect .... just the Drivers seat bolster is worn and sagging! Must be a design fault, Eh! LOL!

David

The fabric itself is ok (doesn't look particularly worn) it just seems that the foam has collapsed.

Hmm, £85 ... need to consider whether it's worth doing, especially as I'd need to pay someone to fit it for me. I can see a total of £150 coming up very quickly and that must be around the cost of a replacement seat, assuming I could find one without the same problem.

Re-surrecting this thread....
I have a 2002 1.6 FSI base spec vehicle with standard black Sinus cloth trim seats (no heating etc.)
The bolsters either side of the driver's seat base are a bit squidgy after 105k miles.
The passenger seat bolsters are fine (seat rarely used).
I know I cannot swap the two complete seats round, but is it feasible to swap the seat bases? Anyone know? Anyone tried it?
Hope you can help, please!

Mark

IIRC the bases are just bolted to the frame of the seat
It needs significant disassembly but doable
2 of the bolts are tricky to reach though

J

Hi there,I have just replaced a new base on a sports seat, and it took about twenty minutes to remove the seat base from the seat frame. I then took about another fifteen minutes to take the cover from the bolster.There about 12 hog rings to open and remove.You will need pair of long nosed pliers to open the hog rings.Once these are removed the cushion will come away from the cloth.Putting the cloth and cushion back together is a bit slower, but very doable. David suggested normal foam, but automotive foam is completely different.A new cushion is by far the best option. Best of luck to you. Bruce.

A mate of mine had the same problem with his Mk1 Golf. He bought a second hand seat from Germany. Their passenger seats are our drivers. Good as new.

Back