Seat Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit seat heaters or does it mean a new seat?

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

As far as I know, if you have sport seats, the heating mats are already in place (you only need the cables and switches), if not, it may be possible (and some people have done so) to slide in the heating mats, but it is a lot of work....
Sometimes there are complete seats for sale on german eBay, maybe that is the best way....

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

Do you have any more info about this,, as I recently brought my car and they forgot to add the heated seats to mine which has the sports seats and I would love to have this feature as the seats are leather and cold in winter

I will ask the people who have done this and then come back with more info....

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

We do not have the sports seats but am still interested in whether it can be done.

See response from Martyn

"Well yes it is possible to retro-fit, albeit not easily... the heating elements are now a permanent part of the seat covers! so you would need to replace all of your front seat covers. The average cost of all four covers would be about £400+vat. The wiring looms are an integral part of the cars main wiring, so you would need to make your own looms, not as difficult as it sounds, but not for the faint hearted!

The job would be possible, but it's not going to be very straight forward, or cheap really....

I am sorry this is not the answer you probably wanted to hear...."

Answer relates to a 2002 SE with standard cloth seats.

Ian

:(

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

Have found a couple of sources of kits and am awaiting technical responses to see if they are suitable. See:

http://www.mikesatur.co.uk/fx01.html
www.gosracing.com/heated_seat_kits
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatheatac.html

Looked under the seat yesterday and seat cover removal looks a little daunting - will see if I can find a vehicle trim shop who would install the heater and do the wiring myself.

Ian

I work for a German-owned seating company. We also provide retro-fit 12v seat heating elements.

These are 'easily' fitted between foam and trim - haven't tried it on my own TDI - they would require a simple on/off switch.

foxy

I have leather sports seats and would like to have heated seats, especially in winter.
Having looked underneath my seats, I can see two connectors. One yellow one which has three wires going to a wiring loom in the floor of the car, and a purple connector with two pins, i.e. no wiring loom connected. Could it be a simple case of this being the power for the seat.
Given that the seats have heating mats already fitted, they should also have the electric lumber support (switch poresent on side of seat).

my '02 SE has a cable going to the seat but no heaters - what would this be for then as I have no elec adjustment, no heaters - so just curious.

Audi seem to pre-wire many things (must be cheaper than deciding what wire goes with what spec on production). Common belief on the forum in the past is that the wires are either for:

The lumbar support
Heating
Side airbags

So you could be luck and have the wiring there (like the heated mirror wiring) and just add the end bits, but then you need to tap into the controls somehow!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Mal2002 - Any idea how to take the seat out of the car then?

unconnect the battery for at least eight hours in advance so as to not trigger the air bag

My experience of disconnecting anything these days is costly - £80 to reset airbag and seat occupancy sensor in Alfa (now gone!)

I think a company reached via the web on www.carmat.nl holds OE stock trim - I think when I 've wrecked my front seats trying to reto-fit my heating pads I could retrim the child seat and booster cushion to match!

foxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back