Seatbelt warning

A2nut

Hello from sweden.
I wonder if there is no warning light or buzzer reminder to make you put on
the seatbelt on a A2 ? Most of the modern cars have that..

Thanks Göran in Sweden

Hi Göran and welcome to the forum :)

I think the A2 is just a bit too old for seat belt warnings to have been considered when its electrical system was designed. I've got a Volvo from 2012 that has it, which is about the last of the 2006-onwards P1 platform based on the Ford Focus. That will have been in design from probably the very early 2000's, but the A2 is that 5-7 years older in design, back when that particular aspect of driver/passenger safety wasn't a thing.

I don't know about other countries in Europe but in the UK you weren't even required by law to wear front seatbelts until 1983, and 1991 in the rear. Maybe Audi just assumed that people would obey the law ?

I have seen that A2 can has a difference seat belt fastening on the seats that has a wire for the warning. After checking wiring diagram I have seen that this fastener with cable should the connected to the dash panel. So I suppose that if I install and connect this type of seat belt fastner I might have a sound warning as the dash panel recognize that seat belt is not fasten. Did anyone ever tried this ?
The spare codes for this seat belt fastener is 8Z0 857 755G.

Really???

Question one: Is it a legal requirement to wear a seat belt in any occupied seat in your country?

If so why do you need a warning lamp / buzzer to inform you something that you know you must do?

I know nanny state but where has common sense gone? Do not drink / drug drive and wear seatbelts....

There is a definite need for some warnings but common sense takes care of the rest or has society become that dumded down?

The dash warning light and buzzer for the seatbelt can be activated in VCDS ... but I don't believe the seatbelt or seat is wired up for it it, certainly isn't on mine.

I have seen that A2 can has a difference seat belt fastening on the seats that has a wire for the warning. After checking wiring diagram I have seen that this fastener with cable should the connected to the dash panel. So I suppose that if I install and connect this type of seat belt fastner I might have a sound warning as the dash panel recognize that seat belt is not fasten. Did anyone ever tried this ?
The spare codes for this seat belt fastener is 8Z0 857 755G.
Evening,

This is a reasoned question as it does look like there is possible provision for the A2 instrument cluster to give you an audible seatbelt warning, although putting your seatbelt on should be a 'business as usual' occurrence before pulling away in any vehicle. That said I feel you should have something in return to your query. My answer here is purely an assumption with no hard evidence to back it up. It's an interesting venture though which I hope you undertake and report back on.

Here's the seat belt buckle you mention with a 8Z0 part number:

Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 18.16.41.png

It looks to be a 2 wire operation where one wire might be grounded and the other go to the instrument cluster as you mention (similar simple circuit like the brake pad wear sensor or washer bottle level sensor). When the seat belt key/blade part is inserted into the buckle it creates or disrupts the circuit with the instrument cluster pin being either grounded or not. The red connector looks like it would fit within the connector carrier under the seat where there is room for 3 connectors. I have 2 sets of heated and electric lumber seats which only occupy 2 out of the possible 3 spaces on the carrier, maybe the third opening was going to be filled by the red connector you see in the above picture, certainly looks to be the same shape/size. The airbag connector is attached onto the side of the carrier and certainly doesn't occupy this third aperture.

The real unknown is will the instrument cluster beep/gong if there is no seat belt inserted into the buckle once connected up, thats if my above theory on the wiring is actually correct.

You can certainly code the instrument cluster to give a seatbelt warning which just displays the seatbelt icon for 3-5 seconds when the ignition is first switched on. I've already coded one of my clusters to do this whilst I was playing with settings for another venture I'm yet to release my findings on.

You have no doubt come across the same information as I'm about to show but for everyone else's benefit, here is where the seatbelt buckle might be fed into the instrument cluster:

Green Connector
Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 18.10.20.png

Pin 27 is named as Belt Buckle.

I cannot confirm if any of my fleet has anything attached at pin 27 but if it does I can only guess that it's already grounded out within the harness.

To test this theory I think that you would need to code your cluster to provide the seatbelt warning and also have pin 27 connected to an earth. If it beeps then the theory is correct and it should be a straight forward retrofit to enable this feature that never made it to the production line.

As the wired buckle costs EUR 62.51 before any shipping fees from Audi Tradition I personally wouldn't be looking to give this a go anytime soon but maybe something for the back burner if I ever run out of things to retrofit. I guess that a similar buckle might be found in a breakers yard for pennies but very much doubt it'll sport an 8Z0 part number.

The question of whether or not it is needed or necessary is entirely up to the person wishing to give it a go. I can fully appreciate someone wishing to finish off something Audi started and for whatever reason never rolled out, even if it doesn't give any further functionality apart from being annoying if you fail to abide by the law and choose not to wear a seat belt. In all honesty, most people try to stop the warning beep, not add to the list of things that can trigger it.

As my cluster is already coded for belt warning I'm wiling to test my theory by removing pin 27 (if there is a connection that is) but it'll be a while before I next have the instrument cluster removed. I do have a cluster bench test setup but this wouldn't help as I have multiple warning beeps due to it looking for the circuits that I don't have connected so would be a waste of time.

If you're familiar with removing the instrument cluster and have VCDS then my above guess work can be quickly tested. If there is nothing in pin 27 then all what I've just typed is completely incorrect and I'd draw to the conclusion that this retrofit may result in nothing.

I’m also unable to find any evidence of anyone else giving this a go, perhaps you will be the first as you have already done your homework on this.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom for your comment. The reason why I would like to install a sound warning is because my daughter has just got her driver's license and I have seen that sometimes she forgot to wear the seat belt and this is absolutely not good and dangerous. So I would like to install a sound warning in order to let her learn to use seat belt. I have recently removed instrument cluster in order to connect the PDC but i haven't checked connection for seatbelt. I would have been happy if someone had tested this retrofit in order to avoid to miss time as without sound warning there is no sense to make the whole job.
I think I will buy the wired buckle and try the retrofit. If there will not be any sound warning I have a plan B. I will use the open/close circuit of the wired buckle and I will install a buzzer under the driver seat and use a relay linked to a +12v under key that activate the buzzer. Once the seat belt is fast the buzzer stops to sound. Obviously this wouldn't be the best as once the key is turned the buzzer starts to play but better that no seat belt fasted.
Will keep this thread updated with test results....

Nuclear option: you could ask her to watch the crash detectives on YouTube for a graphic illustration of why she should wear her seatbelt.

You’re just looking for that “naked” feeling to be instilled in / bother her when she gets in a car and doesn’t put one on.

I don’t think a warning light will help as human nature is to get used to things and ignore them out of habit- which is why automatic warning systems for train drivers going past signals will apply the brakes if the driver ignores them.

She agrees to use seat belt and she understand how it is important. She is alive thanks to seat belt as when she was four years old I destroyed completely my Audi A4 B6. It is just a matter to get used to wearing seat belt. She sometimes forgot and I would like to avoid these rare forgetfulness

Agree it’s an omission from a modern standpoint, our 2016 Touran beeps at you for far less.

literally it is her life. She chooses not to wear it then a fine is the price to pay IF LUCKY.

If you catch her not wearing the seat belt then take her phone off her for a couple of days and she should not be using it in the car.

Unfortunately the most sophisticated seat belt reminders are defeated by clipping the belt into the buckle.

She agrees 100% to use it but as she has just started to drive she is not used to hook it so the reminder could help to take this habit.
I drive since 34years. When I took my license to drive the seat belt was not compulsory. When it became mandatory it took a while to wear it without forgetfulness. This is my meaning. Having the sound warning to learn this automatic operation. All expert drivers when entering the car before using key fast its seat belt. Just want to let her avoid to forget to fast the belt . It is not a matter that she doesn't want to wear it.
I think that warning sound should have this rule. Once you forgot then warning helps to drive with seat belt fast.

Modern cars should have a warning if you are looking at your phone while driving.

In Norway the traffic deaths are rising after being going down for years. I bet a pint it is due to use of phone or the massive dash screens while driving, combined with the illusion that a modern car safety and autopilot systems will save you

Edit: thus I would install a handsfree bluetooth adapter in the A2 before seatbelt warning

Here in the UK there was an old tv campaign... Just a real shame who was the front man for it.... Jimmy Savile

Clunk click every trip.

That meant as you close the car door you put on the seat belt..

If your daughter has been a passenger in a car then she must have been wearing a seatbelt to do so. I fail to understand how something so essential is not done. Perhaps the air bag needs to be replaced with a spike.. Shock tactics, yes but VERY effective.

As suggested by @dj_efk sit her down with some of the YouTube videos to show the results of not wearing a seat belt.

She agrees to use seat belt and she understand how it is important. She is alive thanks to seat belt as when she was four years old I destroyed completely my Audi A4 B6. It is just a matter to get used to wearing seat belt. She sometimes forgot and I would like to avoid these rare forgetfulness

Nearly all children learn the necessity of wearing a seat belt from their parents long before they're old enough to get behind the wheel. Italy made the wearing of seat belts mandatory in the rear seats in 2006 (along with the rest of the EU), so there's no excuse.

Unfortunately, if you've taken a relaxed approach to the wearing of seat belts in the past, you've probably left it too late. She'll need to learn from experience.

Sad to say, this article suggests that Italians remain relaxed about the necessity of wearing seat belts:

Back