Seats...(front)

bob

Hello all, ive a need to fit a better pair of front seats in my 90.....Are the TT seats comfier then the standard ones....Has anyone got a nice pair to sell...I did read somewere that a member was making brackets for the said seats !....Is there any other seats that fit straight in..? Thank you for any help....It also looks like I will have to purchase a Towbar at great expense,as I need a bit more room I don't really want to sell,so with a nice pair of seats, and a towbar I should be sorted....!

Hi Bob -

Before you go for TT seats, it might be worth you looking at other A2 seats as not all were created equal.

Do your current seats have a little button on the plastic plate on the base? If not, then they don't have adjustable lumbar support, which would make quite a lot of difference. Lumbar control was available in both SE and Sports versions, although it's more common on Sports seats. As well as having the fatter bolsters to the base and the backrest, I believe the Sports seats are also firmer (at least, that's what they feel like to my backside ;))

You can fit lumbar-enabled seats in either SE or Sport versions to your car as a straight swap, but you would need to set the lumbar support initially to your taste using temporary wires run from the battery on the plug terminals. The proper wiring to allow your car to support lumbar adjustments at any time can be retrofitted by @timmus, amongst others.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: bob
:)..Well every day is a learning day isn't it...Im going to check to see if I have the said button, My car is a 90 s.e. too so it may well have, the seats are as new, the problem im encountering is my back support at the sides are nipping my sides in a bit too much....so much it aches after 2/3 hours....Apart from that...its ok and yes ive tried high low,forward/backward...(but open too suggestions!)....Right, thank you for that info, im now going to have a gander....under my seats !

:)..Well every day is a learning day isn't it...Im going to check to see if I have the said button, My car is a 90 s.e. too so it may well have, the seats are as new, the problem im encountering is my back support at the sides are nipping my sides in a bit too much....so much it aches after 2/3 hours....Apart from that...its ok and yes ive tried high low,forward/backward...(but open too suggestions!)....Right, thank you for that info, im now going to have a gander....under my seats !
.....Update now the bloods stopped ruching around my head I can post, NO no little button....its the side lumber that nips my back...The old transits had a small bulb to blow them up a bit or reduce ....lol..

When you say the side support is causing you discomfort, do you mean the seat feels too small for your back?

Sport seats and indeed TT seats would feel narrower to your back because they have additional support.

Photo1045.jpgPhoto1046.jpg
Here are SE and Sports seats side-by-side (more or less). You can see the bolsters and cushions on the black leather Sports seat are much larger than on the blue SE one. The Sports seat also has the lumbar button towards the front of the plastic surround on the base, which the SE one doesn't. (Edit: when you click on these thumbnails you'll have to expand to fullscreen with the little grid button at bottom right in order to see the seat bases properly.) These are both the passenger seats, the button is always on the side nearest the door.

SE seats without lumbar are known to have a 'hole' in the lower back where there is no support, might this be making your seat feel tight at the sides? I guess the best thing would be to try to find an SE seat with lumbar support and see if it feels any better.

What colour is the interior of your car in? (Pictures would help to identify it).

Last edited:
When you say the side support is causing you discomfort, do you mean the seat feels too small for your back?

Sport seats and indeed TT seats would feel narrower to your back because they have additional support.
Hiya Steve, yes the seat feels too tight across the back....

View attachment 43779View attachment 43780
Here are SE and Sports seats side-by-side (more or less). You can see the bolsters and cushions on the black leather Sports seat are much larger than on the blue SE one. The Sports seat also has the lumbar button towards the front of the plastic surround on the base, which the SE one doesn't. (Edit: when you click on these thumbnails you'll have to expand to fullscreen with the little grid button at bottom right in order to see the seat bases properly.) These are both the passenger seats, the button is always on the side nearest the door.

SE seats without lumbar are known to have a 'hole' in the lower back where there is no support, might this be making your seat feel tight at the sides? I guess the best thing would be to try to find an SE seat with lumbar support and see if it feels any better.

What colour is the interior of your car in? (Pictures would help to identify it).

Yes ive the S.E.....I will have to have a look at other A2s, tho far and few around here....I will endeavour to get the wife to take a photo in the morning,and post here....Thank you for your valued input!

The SE leather is far more comfier than the cloth in my opinion Bob. The sports leather does have a slightly harder base and it has been said that the ideal A2 seat is a sports back rest with an SE Base. I think DJ190 has created this combo. If the SE back rest is "nipping" you it is unfortunately the widest available in OE form as the sport is narrower.

Last edited:
:)...Once again, thank you for your input..It is very much appreciated,i will endeavour to look at a few, and explore options....No showing anything on the only pik I have at the moment !

Attachments

• 20180814_193253.jpg
    20180814_193253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 236
Bob, if you're interested and could get down I have a set of Sports fronts seats (cloth) that you are welcome to try out. Just need collecting :)

Bob, if you're interested and could get down I have a set of Sports fronts seats (cloth) that you are welcome to try out. Just need collecting :)
Hello Sciroccorrado, thank you for the offer ....but just a tad too far away to come..to try one out....Im in Norfolk at the moment..

OK so that's a Platinum interior, SE seats without lumbar support. Blue seats might also go nicely with the exterior colour (but my blue ones in my photo are also non-lumbar and therefore no different to yours).

:).....Thank you for your very nice offer
I meant you could have them to take away :) But yeah, a bit of a distance.
Thank you for your very kind offer , and it is much appreciated....I have just been to sit in my car,and it is the 14tdi.90..not se.....!

The 90 denotes the engine power rather than the trim spec. But (in this country at least) all seats that aren't the Sport type are SE type.

Looking at the picture in your media, on a 54 registration, rather than an SE it could possibly be a (confusingly titled) "Special Edition" run-out model. But your V5C logbook will confirm exactly what you've got.

Hi Bob,
As Proghound says, there are only two basic types of seats throughout the A2 range; either Sports, which you don't have, or SE, which you do. After that, there's the type of covering: cloth, leather or alcantara, then the options of adjustable lumbar support, and heating. I guess your next step might be to try out the driver's seat in A2s equipped with leather or alcantara SE seats and Sports seats in cloth/leather/alcantara, all with or without adjustable lumbar support.

If none of those are to your liking, perhaps one of those seat covers made up of little wooden balls would sort you out! :)

... news to me, having read this thread, the SE seat was available with lumbar support. Excellent! Is this available as a retro fit, or do I need to find a replacement pair of front seats incorporating lumbar support?

Last edited:
... news to me, having read this thread, the SE seat was available with lumbar support. Excellent! Is this available as a retro fit, or do I need to find a replacement pair of front seats incorporating lumbar support?

As indicated in one of the earlier posts, Timmus offers lumbar support as a retrofit.
It was only available as an option on later model SEs' but standard fit on all Sports seats (I think)
I bought a set of tatty sport seats just for the lumbar bits and swapped them onto my SE seats - https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/retrofit-lumbar-support.21052/post-161229

Cheers Spike

Back