secret fuel button!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine

Past Member
Today I found my secret fuel tank button!!!

'What secret fuel tank button?" I hear you say (or think)

Well it seems that we all have a button hidden away just inside the neck of the fuel tank nozzle that allows air to be expelled from the tank and let that little bit more fuel in.

I remember reading about it on another AUDI forum a few days ago, so today after filling up I had a look and found it. It moves in two directions, however when pushing one way you can hear air being released from the tank. Unfortunately I remembered about it after paying so cant tell you how much more fuel I could have put in, however from other forums it can be upto a litre or two (maybe more like a litre max in the A2 I would imagine though)

This could come in very handy for those of us out there with the smaller fuel tank.

Cheers

Kaine

P.S. Now I have already prepared myself for the replies saying you all already knew, and maybe it was only me who never knew this. [B)]

'Tis OK sir! I had mine for three years and did not know!
And yes it would have been useful - I had the diddy tank.
Thinks, I must rush outside and see if the A3 has one!
Good tip.

Not to be used if you are going to park up full of fuel on a hot day though otherwise all that expensive go juice will expand and flow down the road!

Probably also not be used in the winter. The fuel is pumped up from the cold tank at the station and is heated to about 30 /40 degrees celsius when driving.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Good Point!! I'm going to have a go though for reference - see how much fuel I can get in the ickle tank.

Kaine

I've got two more additional pointers for you all. I've been using this 'secret' for a while now, BUT:
- you have to be patient. Think along the lines of 30 seconds for a maximum effect (read that on the German A2 forum again). And somehow, I always feel rushed at the gasstation, when a potential line is queueing up, so I don't get the chance really.
- be careful when releasing the 'button' !!! I once took the nozzle off the the button and it sprung back into position, throwing some droplets of diesel right into my face! Glad I'm wearing glasses...
So make it a smooth release, if you do.

These days I use the button out of habit. I depress it for a few 5 seconds and I think it allows me to put in about 1 litre extra. I do have the 42 litre tank, btw...

I did read about people claiming up to 4 litres extra, but I don't see how. Maybe I'm using the button in the wrong way? Because you can
a. push it into the wall of the pipe, OR
b. push it 'out' into the middle, basically making it longer.

I think 'b' also happens when you screw in the cap. And in my experience, 'a' does not work, but maybe I'm wrong?

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I've been using it for some time as well (on the 34 litre tank and by nudging it with the nozzle so that it bends in and sort of turns by 90 degrees) BUT only when I know I'm going to use most of the fuel there and then... ie on long trips. Don't use this method to fill your car up in summer and then drive 300 yards somewhere and park it in the sun!!! The extra space you are now filling with fuel is for the fuel to expand into when it gets warmer...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Found this yesterday as I was filling up prior to a 300 mile round trip. Managed to get just about an extra litre in. Achieved 62mpg which isn't bad for a 2000 mile engine.
Shaf

1. Mar 2001 TDi 75 SE, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, winter pack.
2. Nov 2002 TDi 75 Sport, Silver,black/grey interior,climate.
3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back