Self locking hub nuts.

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
I used the hub nuts and a 3/4 ratchet to maneuver the car into the garage recently to repair the engine. I've replaced them to ensure the hubs are torqued correctly.

Do these nuts only self lock on one side? The one that hasn't locked was removed from the drivers (RH) side,

Albert 31.jpg

They should be the same for both sides. The one on the left has been used (tabs bent back). If the one on the right has been used, there's something wrong with that hub.

RAB

They should be the same for both sides. The one on the left has been used (tabs bent back). If the one on the right has been used, there's something wrong with that hub.

RAB
Yes it has been used, that’s the reason I posted the question. Thanks for the advice, I’ll take look at the hub.

No, had the car from new. They are both original. That is unless Audi changed one when they replaced my wheel bearings.
I’m hoping the nut was defective. There is indication, missing plate, that it has attempted to lock.
I’m going to mark the position of the new one and check it periodically for movement.

Are the front bearings supplied with a drive flange fitted? In which case the NS bearing is Audi and the O/S FAG.

Are the front bearings supplied with a drive flange fitted? In which case the NS bearing is Audi and the O/S FAG.
The bearing is supplied with a hub with a spline for the drive shaft. Has one been replaced? They are the same part.

RAB

No they are not the same part and both have been replaced. I bought two FAG bearings; I believe. Audi offered to fit them for me because of me having difficulties sourcing the tooling, it was some time ago. They cracked the reluctor ring on the N/S so fitted a genuine Audi bearing.
N/S is Audi O/S is believed to be FAG.

Now you mention it i am sure mine have done the same and not bent back on removal.
A2 is 120 nm
A Fabia on a youtube vid a guy goes 50 nm then 45 degrees (i think need to double check) but wonder if this works out greater than 120 nm.
Think strong locktight is the way to go!

A2s (except 1.2Tdi) should be fitted with Loctite and torqued to 120Nm.

RAB
I have never seen any reference to loctite on the threads for the nuts only the splines for the hub, must have missed this!

I didn't say anything about Loctite on the nuts! They shouldn't need it if new nuts are used and the hubs are suitable.

RAB

Now you mention it i am sure mine have done the same and not bent back on removal.
A2 is 120 nm
A Fabia on a youtube vid a guy goes 50 nm then 45 degrees (i think need to double check) but wonder if this works out greater than 120 nm.
Think strong locktight is the way to go!
50 Nm plus 45 degrees, not sure what that will give. Next time torque to 50 Nm then set to 120 Nm and see if you pull more or less than 45 degrees before the click.

Back