sensors

deseli

...could someone please tell me what the symptoms would be if you had a faulty lamdor ??? sensor and/or the other ones mentioned. Was driving around today and lost power - I've posted a few threads thinking it was the exhaust or 1 of the cat converters, but I am now wondering if loss of power and the faffy noise is to do with a sensor playing up as it messed around and was really jaulty for a while and then the power just seemed to come back for a wee while before messing around again?????

Any help/advise warmly welcomed.

Cheers,

M

A dodgy lambda sensor would normally light up the engine management warning on the dash, but not every time.

Best bet is a scan (as always!).

Cheers,

Mike

...you wouldn't believe that I've been praying on a wing for the blooming light to come on for a fair few months now and nothing! ...everytime I call up audi, they say nothings wrong, and am begining to think that they think I am a bit barmy, but I know darn well something is wrong as it never used to be like this - why oh why does my engine management light not come on?!?! arghhhh, driving me potty, :mad: but today UBE was real bad!!! :eek:

Cheers Mike, just right now don't know if my car would make it that far! :( :eek:

...I am suppose to be driving up to sheffield on the 5/7/09 and not heading back until the 8/7/09 - how feasible is it too get a scan done sometime then? ..2 birds, 1 stone.. (is Sheffiled within reasonable distance to you?) ...just hope my car lasts and even makes it up ok! :eek:

Great, will bare this in mind...

..will go for a drive in UBE in a bit and see how he's behaving, otherwise I have PM'd Sarge786 for help also as lack of power when putting foot on accelerator is a little confidence knocking for a trip up north! :eek:

One other thing to try, unplug the connector going to the MAF (whip the bonnet off and take the plug off going to the huge pipe at the left hand side of the engine).

You can safely run the car with this off and it'll revert back to a basic setting, which will tell you if the MAF is shot.

I take it that it doesn't feel like a coil pack issue (missing cylinders etc).

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, I will try what you have suggested...

don't think it is the coil packs (it could be part of it maybe), it is behaving differently to when 2 of the coil packs went earlier in the year in that the exhaust sounds really throaty?!? I reckon it's either or a combination maybe of the cat, sensors or maybe the coil packs then???

...let me try over-riding the MAF sensor and I will get back to you!

Mike,

just been out and disconnected the plug to the MAF sensor and eurika!!! took it for a spin round the block and is already more responsive... as soon as I fired him up he sounded better!!! (I've left the connector unplugged?!?)

...so now what???

M

You can try cleaning the MAF - brake or carb cleaner aerosols are pretty good, used in combination with a cotton swab.

To remove the MAF, simply unclip the 2 springs at either end and wiggle it free of the pipework. Be careful with the MAF wire though as it is fragile.

If it does the trick, then fine, otherwise it's a new MAF from Audi, around £215, or £95 with an exchange unit.

You may well be able to get one from somewhere like GSF or EuroCarParts, but I'd be wary of getting the right part.

Cheers,

Mike

PS, It's fine to drive around with the MAF disconnected, as long as you take it easy and replace it within a decent mileage (to prevent coking the engine up).

Thanks Mike :)

Sarge - top man, thanks for your help at such short notice. :D

Would throughly recommend both of these guys to anyone on the forum for taking care of your wee treasures...

Mik

Back