Service costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kslevi

As part of my monthly finance costs, I can add £25 on which will cover all servicing, wheels, etc - so all I have to do is insure and fuel the car - no other worries.

What I want to know is how much the first service will cost, and how much do you think i'll have to spend within a 3 year period?

If i pay £25 a month, thats £900. Do you think I would spend that much for services, tyres etc in 3 years?

Soon to be 03 A2 1.4 SE cobalt blue climate control, winter pack

Hiw mamy miles will you do in that period?

The variable service on a petrol should become doue at around 18k miles or 2 years, whichever is sooner, so if you do 9k miles per year, in 3 years you will only need one service. I would guess this to be around £250.

For tyes, if you assume you get 20k out of the front and 30 k out of the rear. in 3 years at 9k per year you will replace 2 tyres, an over-the-top estimate is £200.

Thus in three years you would spend £450 based on 9k miles per year.
If you do twice that, then the sums change totally and you probably break even at £25 per month.

Hope that helps.

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

VW operate a similar scheme, and I do know that it includes a lot of other things including windscreen wipers, brake pads, discs etc. I was not aware of the costs involved, but had concluded that it could only be worthwhile if one was averaging say 15,000 plus miles per year. I was informed that such a policy is better than forking out a large sum in one hit – but perhaps no one has heard of saving money by putting it into a bank (or perhaps under the bed).

It’s a nice thought that a VAG dealer is trying to save us all money each year, but I would prefer to see something a bit more positive – perhaps like reducing their hourly charges from £60 down to £20.

Btw, what about “Kia” now offering a 5 year “all inclusive” warranty regardless of mileage. What a cracking warranty that is. Of course we have the new “Mini” with its 3 years of FREE servicing, and Audi competing by wanting service payment monies the first week after purchasing a new car. Seems to me that VAG are trying to put themselves at the back of the field.

Regards
John Disdale

I paid £100 for 36 months/30,000 miles (whichever is the sooner) for servicing and wear 'n tear iterms such as clutch and brakes on my A2.

Feelings are:

May be lucky to get two services in the 36/30,000
If a clutch goes in that time, it should be replaced under warranty
Brakes-maybe towards the end of the preiod.

So providing at least one service is £100+ I've saved a bit....

ho hum....

Steve - 1.4SE petrol, 2002, Silver

Noe of this was even mentioned by my Audi dealer - they were probably keen to get me and the car on the road. The only thing they tried to sell me was the Safeguard pack.

However, I am intrigued by the costs of service for an A2 - I think Whitehouse said it was £350. Is this correct?

quote:Originally posted by John Disdale
... Of course we have the new “Mini” with its 3 years of FREE servicing...

It's a 5 year deal and you pay £100 I think. Mini's of 1 year vintage with this deal (it transfers to new owners in the period) are selling on at almost new prices (£500 less), so I've heard.

For an A2, the long service intervls mean most people are probably better saving some money away each month ready for the service at about 2 years.

I read somewhere that BMW are offering the same £100 for a 5 year warranty deal on the new 7 Series. I guess with the 7 series, you are probably paying up front for the servicing, however lets hope this type of deal filters down to where car prices are more competitively priced.

Kaine

For the record:

My first service was £180 at 18000miles
2 front tyres at 20000miles were £166 (Dealer Good YearEagle NCT)
Dealer tells me I need Brake fluid service next March; Why?

Simon

Mar01 1.4A2 Open Sky, Bad electrics,odd clutch and very nasty paint effect caused by a "bug shifter", not polishable.....

Simon

Two years is thte norm for brake fluid-it absorbs water and I presume becomes less effective (?) and can start corroding the brake components (pipes).Part of the VAG service schedule (my Seats were the same).

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

I have done 20K in my TDi, and I am going to need some tyres soon. I think there is about another 2-3K left in them, but I'm not sure which tyres to get next.

The current ones are Goodyear NCT5s, but my other half has Continental Eco-Contact tyres on her A2 TDi. The difference in price is about half for the Goodyears. It will be interesting to see how her tyres wear. They look pretty good after about 7K. £166 for a pair of NCT5 sounds like scalping to me. I believe you can get NCT5s for £46 and Continentals for £90, each. Anyone in the Newbury / Reading area should get a quote from Headley Tyres (no connections, just bought tyres from them for many years).

I am also in the lucky position of having 3 'free' services at my disposal. I got them in compensation for buying a demonstrator, advertised as having DIS, but lacking it when it arrived at the dealer. Does anyone know what the differences are between each service, i.e. which are more expensive than the others and by how much? I'd like to use the services to get the best value possible, since the wording in the letter I have covers parts and labour

Although my car has 20K on the clock, it has had a service and 2 oil changes. The service was when I bought it (paid by the garage), including one oil change, the other was to replace the 'normal oil' with longlife oil, which they removed at the previous service. As a result my service interval is still at 23K, with a year to go. I reckon if we do it right we may be able to get one car to 100K with no service costs at all!!

Paul.

I'd like to believe martinw's calculation will hold for most owners - but I've just had the second service done at 21K (both being required at a miserly 10,300!) on a 1.4 not quite 2 yr old. 1st: £224; 2nd: £287... Nothing additional to normal service.
At that price, I particularly like the (London) garage's: 'Your car has been washed and vacuumed free of charge'.:(

PD

I've had my A2 for a month now and only washed it once - the dealer has valeted and washed it 3 times, once a week as it has work done for one problem or another!
Mike(the one with a dry chamios!)

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)

Serviced at 10,000 miles (=15000km,) 6 months old for £70 - at my Audi dealer in Belgium.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

I paid about 340€ for the first service (at 50000km) on my A2 1,4TDi (service was made by my local Audi dealer).

Mike,

Since Noah built his ark (from scraps of materials found behind Tesco’s) I have always believed that if you take a dirty car to a garage the illusion conveyed is that the owners does not much care – and as a consequence the car is likely to suffer potential abuse. If on the other hand the car is taken in looking like a shiny new pin, then I strongly contend that those with greasy mitts, or greasy overalls will certainly think twice before leaving their trademark.

As I say so often about so many things, its all a question of standards, and the best standards are set by creating an example.

Regards
John Disdale

Careful John, you'll cut yourself with wit like that!
My car hasn't had time to get dirty between trips to the dealer service dept. I was merely pointing out that out of the last 4 weekends, the car has been at the dealers for 3 of them and even though they seemingly can't get to the bottom of all the faults, they've got a bl[}:)][}:)]dy good valet service!
Mike(sarcasm and wit - discuss)

Mike - Perhaps your dealer is spending so much time cleaning the car that there are no further allocated manhours to find and eradicate the faults. I expect the garages socket set is as mint as your leather.

I've had to seek further help today from Audi UK, after my dealer asked me to pay for the warranty work!!! After a chat to a service manager, my local dealer phoned back within 20 minutes, apologising for the "enthusiasm of their accounts department". Perhaps you're right John, washing should come after the spanner work.
Mike(happy bunny - not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back