Service flap switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch

Working on an engine problem, I noticed that the service flap has a switch. So I imagine that one should be able to see that the flap is open when driving.
I do not see an indicator. What should I see?

Is it not an alarm switch to detect the flap being forced, with a view to unscrewing and stealing the bonnet?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Yup, open the flap and lock the car, indicators don't flash, shut the flap and they flash

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

All seems a bit pointless.If you steal a bonnet wouldn't you look out of place walking down the street with it? Unless it's raining of course!

You'll be amazed what people will nick. My next door neighbour had the driver's airbag nicked from his 306 which wasn't alarmed.

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Some people steal anything. Some time ago a dealer had a bumper stolen from a car he had for sale.

Anyway, strange: the indicator flashes with an open and a closed service flap. I measured the switch: it is working and the wires to the switch are okay too.
It is not important, but still I want to understand this.
Can other people reading this post check if it is working for them and post the results here? Thanks!

On my car:
Lock the car with the button on the key and the light on the drivers door flashes fast x6, then once every 2 seconds. Flap open or flap closed.

But
Open the drivers door and press the switch above the fuel flap switch, so that an extra light comes on on the switch. Then lock the door with the button on the key, and the light on the drivers door flashes fast x6 but not after that.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Mine also don't flash with flap open - in exactly the same way as when a door is ajar. Close said door or service flap and the indicators flash...

Any thief can easily hotwire a car if he has access to the engine I would think... he could also disconnect the alarm or do anything like that... hence the bonnet being alarmed. Thankfully A2's battery lives in the boot so no way for him to totally disconnect the alarm I should guess...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

The switch is connected to the car's computer.
When the car whines about a low oil level just open and close the flap. That will shut it up for about 100km's. It will think that it's been refilled.
This is done because it's hard for the sensor to detect an immediate increase in the oil level. Especially if the engine has been running. So the sensor measures the average oil level in the engine. This would mean that if you fill the car with oil it would keep whining.

Hence this solution. I heard that most cars have this nowadays.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

[2]
Wrong topic!

[2]
[2]
[2]

[2]

[2]
Bummox!

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Been at the diesel again, Maersk?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back