SERVICE PERIOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robertpeggie

I have had my A2 TDI serviced three times now by my AUDI dealer. It has had a variable type service with the 'special expensive' oil. Each time the 'service requred' sign has come up at almost exactly 10,000 miles. My dealer has confirmed it is programmed for a variable service. I will be obliged to know how many miles other owners average between services ?

Regards,

Robert:)

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum. I have yet to get to 4000 miles so no service yet, but I would be a little annoyed if it came up for a service at 10k if Variable Servicing is enabled as it should be. Many on this forum have way exceeded that figure before servicing and 10k consistently seems a little too regular for coincidence.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

Welcome Robert

My 1.4 petrol, with approx 2000 miles on the clock (of mainly town/city driving)was showing 16000 to next service.

So unless your driving around in 1st gear for 3 miles and then stopping each day, your 10K service does appear to be to close together.

It could be a problem with the oil sensor, as that is a big determining factor in the VSI mileage. I think I remember JD (an ex A2 owner) had this problem with his A2.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I've just clocked up 17500 miles and the indicator is telling me I have 9000 miles to go to the FIRST service the A2 is 15 months old.

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey,
50% Brighter Bulbs : Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me) : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System - Nearly.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk18.htm

Just short of 8,000 miles and its showing 20,200 to first service! BTW its a 1.4 TDi SE.

I have never changed oil in my car, I always waited until the annual service with my A4 (now 5 years old), but I guess there is benefit to monitoring the oil to extend the service period with the A2, does it make a difference? Can you give me an idiots guide, or shouldn't I worry about it.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

I've just had my 1.4 TDi serviced at 24,000 miles. The service indicator still had about 6,000 miles on it, but I had it done as I am doing a 3,000 mile drive across Europe in a few months. It's going back in this Monday to have the front overhead lightwitch replaced (under arranty), a new boot sensor as the light doesn't always come on (under warranty) and a new left headlight and for some reason, it points downwards! (under Warranty).

The bizarre thing is that when you have it serviced, they reset the interval back to ~9,400 miles and the car adjust the service interval itself from that depending on your driving style. So I am hoping that it will revert back to the 30,000 miles it was aiming for before.

As for oil, I have to had to top up the oil every 8,000 miles or so. I do wonder when it will 'grow' out of this as it can't be normal to constantly have to top up a well run in diesel?!

Are you coming to the club social?
________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]
Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest

A2OC: www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

Mmm, perhaps I ought to be checking my oil as well then. I might just work out where the dipstick is and have a look at what I have to do with it. Bit silly really, 31 years old and I've never checked for oil...

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

Stuart,
8000 Miles is not excessive for oil top ups (½ ltr or so).

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey,
50% Brighter Bulbs : Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me) : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System - Nearly.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk18.htm

Ade - believe me you'll know when you need oil - the warning bleep scares the life out of me every time!!

Are you coming to the club social?
________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]
Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest

A2OC: www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

Don't wait for the warning! If the warning light is on this means low oil pressure -next stop could be blown engine. Check it every couple of weeks and top up as required. I've put about a quarter of a litre in in 8,000 miles. It was about a third of the way up the dipstick before I topped up.

I've done 25,000 miles and the VSI shows me to have 6,000 miles to go before the first service! This should bring me to the 3 yr point.

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

We have done 5000 miles and VSI shows 8500 to service. 99% rush hour driving with trips of 10 miles. And "she" is not too gentle with it.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

I've done almost 43000 km and DIS indicates still another 7000 to go before service. Looks like i'm going to actually make thr 50.000 service interval.
But I mostly drive for long times, this morning for instance I went to work and had to drive 230 km. The car is going for service in two weeks. It doesn't actually need it then but my brake discs are crooked (as in not flat anymore) so the car vibrates when braking.

I once had a 1.4 petrol for a loaner and it had 15000 km on it and DIS indicated 5000 km to go before service. That day I drove 500 km with it and when I returned it DIS indicated 32000 km to go :).

A long drive when the engine is at a hogh temperature for a long time will give the oil a chance to clean itself and get rid of any moisture.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

i/ve so far got 23500 miles on the clock no service as yet got another 5200 miles before first service interval[33]
so not too bad
bye

andy s Audi A2 1.4 tdi se cobalt blue

A.D.Simmons

Might be putting the cat amongst the pigeons here, but it seems to me like most folks are happy if they can get as high a mileage as possible before the 1st service.
I assume most are using the "Longlife" oil- indeed a high quality lubricant, but my worry is that the condition of it must be poor by the time 30000 miles is up.
My car's done 8500 miles on the oil put in from new ( Longlife ) and it's as black as coal. In fact I've got some new Castrol SLX on order, so that I can change it ASAP, + Filter.
I know Audi say the oil doesn't need changing- but they would of course, because they make loads of money rebuilding worn out engines.
I think once the original oil has been changed, it wouldn't need changing so often, it depends if your keeping the car or not. Personally I'd change even fully synthentic at 7-10 K miles.
The other problem is getting under the car to drop the oil out!, and the acoustic tray removal. I'm doing mine soon, so I'll let you know how I get on. Now if you know someone with a ramp!!!
Regards JohnW. 2002TDI SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back