Shift lever bearing shell replacement

cheechy

A2OC Donor
Any how to's on this that anyone is aware of?

ie how to apply grease, what can be used etc. Prompted by a fellow member mentioning he had carried out recently and resonated with me.

Also I know members also talk about replacing the tower bearing - another how to on this would be good?

Just trying to build up my own knowledge as I'm increasingly paranoid around the knowledge of general garages being able to carry work out to a satisfactory level on the A2.

You need to remove 2 srews and one clip. Clip needs to be removed to move bearing pin for few centimeters to make removing/inserting bearing shell easier. Then you can lift up gearshift a bit and remove the shell.
New part should be inserted VAG number facing down. Just clean all the old grease put new grease on inside walls of the shell and put it in place.
It can be difficult to remove/insert the part but with some patient you can do it :)
After job is done make sure the the ends of the big spring are in place because they can jump out.

And you may need flexible magnet pic up tool in case you loose torx or other item in the holes. I lost my torx head bit but found it with magnet.

Part number is 1k0711699
Original grease G052142A2
Alternative cheaper grease Total altis SH2, Mobil Polyrex EM or other polyurea grease.

First photo is not from A2 but it is identical.

56098ds-960 (1).jpg

20200304_184202_compress3.jpg

20200304_185327.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Vic very much appreciated. How much grease did you apply? Assuming it was applied and then the new sleeve was put on top?

I strongly recommend to clean old grease. Put about 2 mm thickness layer. You can put even more because the excess will be simply pushed out when inserting the shell. :)

Back