Should I sell it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Annie0712

[21]
I'm in a bit of a quandry !
I have an A2 which I bought new in Jan 2001. Its a 1.4 TDI.

I have done 42k miles and I like the car, fuel consumption overall drive etc is great.

However I am fed up with it going wrong and have had a particulalrly bad time with it over the past three months.
In total I have had
-A new control box as the central locking went berserk
-A new wheel bearing - it started making a terrible noise all of a sudden
-the driver window seals fixed twice as they kept going back down when the window was being shut
the brake lights stopped working - needed a new switch

Numerous headlamp bulbs

all of the above over the first two years
However this year
New brake pads and disks on the front
The indicators stopped working (it needed a new switch)
A leak in the coolant system fixed
A broken dipstick

and now the passenger front door is locked shut and can't be opened so it's going back again next week.

My worry is that the warranty period ends in Jan and am I going to be faced with large expensive repairs if it carries on the way it's been going ?

Anyone had similar experiences or am I alone?
Is it possible to pay for extended warranty ?

How much is my car now worth. ?
As I said it's the diesel 1.4, top of the range (ex leather seats - no sunroof) with the winter pack and heated front seats concert stereo with CD autochanger air con- navy blue (sorry can't remember the name of the colour!)

HI

Most of us had some or most of those problems... my brake light switch went twice and 4 headlamps bulbs... but the latter is normal use. I have not had any of the other problems... But once these things are sorted your car should be fine I think. Mine has been trouble free and also a 2001 (October) version.

To value your car go to http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_car/

So for a 2001Y TDI SE 42000miles:
Dealer retail: £10175
Private Good: £9745
Private poor: £7610
Trade in: £8720

And remember you hardly get any money back for your options, maybe £100 for metallic paint and £100 for AC.

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Hi Annie,

It's sad to hear of all your problems. I personally haven't experienced any of them, but then again mine has only done 28,000 miles so far. I totally understand why you would want to consider selling it on.

For a 2001 1.4 TDI SE with 41,000 miles, the value of your car is around:
Private sale (in poor condition): ~£7,610
Private sale (in good condition): ~£9,745
Dealer sale (retail price): ~£10,175
Trade: ~£8,720

By the way, it's cobalt blue metallic that you may be thinking of!

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | A2OC Forum

I can see why you're in a bit if a pickle!! If that was my car, I'd be very annoyed at the number of faults so far.
I know early A2's had a few issues with various bits and bobs - these have generally been ironed out over the years with most people now having relatively trouble free cars.

My personal opinion would be to get rid of the car. The dealers have fixed your central locking once already and it's now playing up again - how many times is this going to happen? Too many faults in a short time in my opinion. Possibly a Friday Afternoon car.

Might be worth having a chat with the dealer to see if you can get a preferential part ex due to all the hassles endured over the last 3 years.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 on order. Only a month to go now - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

I'm with Rob on this-some cars are fault free or nearly fault free in the eerly days then run without problems. To keep having problems down the line could be spelling out trouble for years 3 onwards when you have to dig deep to pay for rectification yourself. Give selling some serious thought.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi - I can totally understand where you are coming from IMO Audi and Quality cannot necesasrily be used in the same sentence any longer.

in 6k miles mine has had drop links, steering rack, front suspension replaced, problems with boot locking mechanism. My TT before it had 10 dash pods, 3 clutches, 2 MAFs also in less than 10k miles, they have a long way to go to get to some of the japanese manufacturers reliability.

My advice would be to sell if you do not have confidence in the car as long term you would not be happy.

Annie don't make the mistake of thinking that it's an issue with Audi, as the vast majority of car manufaturers are the same. Car making is like anything else, things can go wrong especially considering it's a very repetative process for the human elements so you can imagine people getting bored and making mistakes, and the rest of it is automated and as we all know computers can't be perfect because they are built and ran by humans!

I had a new Mini cooper before my A2, and it was one of the early builds so it had problems (lots of them) which have now been fixed. So any new Mini bought after March this year is supposed to be bug free. As the real test for a new car is lots of people buying and testing it, with a view to making it better with future builds.

I would personally sell your current A2, a new A2 is unlikely to give you the same problems and you may get a good trade up from your dealer as suggested above. But if your getting a new car why would you want it to be the same? If I'm buying a new car I want exactly that, there are lots of alternatives out there so shop about. Just don't buy a Merc A class, cos then you will have problems!! Above all else you need to have confidence in your car, and a warranty running out is reason enough to sell for me regardless of any other problems.

Hope this helps.

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control | Custom Badges
visit: http://www.mediacitizen.com/audi

Thats better - good sleep done!!!

Annie,

I know exactly where your coming from. I haven't had many problems with my A2 at all, however even so I am already considering when to replace it in the next year. My concerns come from both the amount of problems other people have had, plus the seemingly awful dealer support. Whatever you decide, its not about the car, but about your piece of mind. Based on what you have written, it is clear that you are already not delighted with your car anymore, therefore maybe its best to say goodbye.

Kaine

Hi Annie,
Tough decision on your part - it's hard enough to have a car go wrong on you when some one else is paying for the repairs, it will be ten times harder when you have to pay - I would sell it.
I've only had one problem so far with my A2 in the year I've owned it and that was the open sky packing up. Apparently what went wrong with it could only be fixed by replacing the whole roof, the price of the parts alone being £1400 plus the car was away for 4 days. With this type of potential cost hanging over me every time I open the roof, I plan on selling the car before the warrantee period is up, a shame because the car is everything I hoped it would be.
All the best
HT

TDI SE, AMULET RED, OPEN SKY,1/2 LEATHER, BOSE.

I suppose the question is would you buy another one?

I had a March 2001 TDi SE with many faults, all taken care of under warranty, some fixed and some not. In my experience, it doesn't matter which make/model you're talking about, all early build cars have problems associated with them. We are just guinea pigs for the manufacturers.

I had faulty, misted up headlights, various squeaks, rattles and vibrations. Water ingress into wiring in rear nearside door. Front electric window sliders etc.

I bit the bullet and traded it in after 16 months and got a TDi Sport which has been fault free. The thing that swung it in my favour was that in the intervening period prices had gone down, I got an excellent trade in and metallic/climate was £250.

Regards

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Trade it in for a new model TDI with facelift - or write to Audi DE personally - i did and they refunded my car's faults even when it was out of warranty! I bought 2nd hand in Germany.

So imports aren\t so bad!

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back