Sincerest apologies

Howey

England
I have previously stated the gearbox spacers for the 02R gear box's should be 7.5mm and not the previous suggested 6.5mm.
I have fallen on my own sword after fitting some 7.3mm ones and looks like I have cracked my gearbox. Fitted some 6.5mm ones and hoping sealant prevents any further issues with gear oil leaking and water ingress!

Sorry folks that's the last time I try to be clever!!

Cheers

Tom

Just remembered the reason why I thought the spacers should be 7.5mm. On the bench I bolted the aftermarket mount to the box using the 6.5mm spacers in the two top holes. I noticed the the rear leg of the mount was spaced off from the box. I ordered some m10 1/2 mm shims and was able to fit two. Have just been out to the car and done just this, so I now think 7.5mm spacers are correct and the car this gearbox was taken from was involved in an accident hence the trouble I am having. Hopefully the sealer will be enough now and I can get on with my life!!

There's definitely a hair line crack and it runs underneath the lower rear bolt and presumably around the top of the box, concerned now the box might fall out of the car!

Hope you can resolve this Tom. Have you amended your original post saying 6.5 in case someone reads and acts on that?

Car was taken off the road last monday and the gearbox replaced over the weekend with another MZN I had in stock that was intended for Mr Grey.
Upon fitting it I used the 6.5mm spacers but was unable to fit a shim at the back of the rear mount hole and mounting. Ultimately I feel the tried and tested 6.5mm spacers are the way to go, although I put the box cracking down to the box being compromised during its impact damage and not the fact the spacers I fitted was 7.3mm as there must be a tolerance as some folk have fitted these gearboxes without a measured spacer being used just a bunch of washers but happy to be proven wrong as I would rather know the truth and always admit my mistakes!

Camera isn't the best, wonder if the box could be repaired by welding but will probably moth ball it for now

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_194510.jpg
    IMG_20240421_194510.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240421_194514.jpg
    IMG_20240421_194514.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240421_194409.jpg
    IMG_20240421_194409.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
Hope you can resolve this Tom. Have you amended your original post saying 6.5 in case someone reads and acts on that?
Appreciated!
Sorry for delay, I wanted clarification and now feel the tried and tested 6.5mm Depronman sexy spacers are the best way to go!

Car was taken off the road last monday and the gearbox replaced over the weekend with another MZN I had in stock that was intended for Mr Grey.
Upon fitting it I used the 6.5mm spacers but was unable to fit a shim at the back of the rear mount hole and mounting. Ultimately I feel the tried and tested 6.5mm spacers are the way to go, although I put the box cracking down to the box being compromised during its impact damage and not the fact the spacers I fitted was 7.3mm as there must be a tolerance as some folk have fitted these gearboxes without a measured spacer being used just a bunch of washers but happy to be proven wrong as I would rather know the truth and always admit my mistakes!

Camera isn't the best, wonder if the box could be repaired by welding but will probably moth ball it for now
tbh in real terms the 5-speed boxes are so cheap relatively it's probably going to be more viable economically just to get another one in due course unless you've got your own welding gear or a mate who does it for beer tokens. For that matter a scrap one with a viable casing if you fancy swapping the parts over.

Bear in mind I'm not a mechanic ! :)

tbh in real terms the 5-speed boxes are so cheap relatively it's probably going to be more viable economically just to get another one in due course unless you've got your own welding gear or a mate who does it for beer tokens. For that matter a scrap one with a viable casing if you fancy swapping the parts over.

Bear in mind I'm not a mechanic ! :)
Yeah that's my thoughts to be honest. We have the equipment at work but I have only ever tried to weld Aluminium once and it was simply pathetic!
Swapping the casings has crossed my mind but finding a cheap casing to make that viable is currently evading me. The box that is fitted to Mr Black was only £90 delivered but in effect did cost me 6.5 hours and £108 extra from the failed first attempt lol

Back