Slippery wheels in 2nd gear..?

esson

Hi again,

Three days ago, I've started experiencing somewhat slippery wheels, in 2nd gear, the ASR light was coming on, while I was in a roundabout. It's happened two more times since then, what could this be?
I'm planning to take my car back home in a weeks time.. :-S Don't wanna leave if it could be dangerous.

Thanks.

Yer it happens mine does it in third if you really push it thats quite a lot of torque going through small wheels so its to be expected!

Chris

Use a lighter right foot when cornering?
Might be worth checking the condition of your front tyres/ pressures?

I am with the tyres on this one

I recently changed from cheap tyres (205/40/17) fullrun to Uniroyal RS2.

The fullrun would not grip even in the dry and you had to back off on sweaping bends as she would drift (understear).

The RS2 almost refuse to let go even in the wet and so much grip under breaking compared to the fullrun.

Note: fullrun were the only pair the garage had when I hit a creater (pothole) and distroyed both driver side tyres.

I read a quite shocking tyre test review in one of the car mags last year which looked at several of the Asian budget tyres, vs European budget and well known premium brand tyres. To say that the performance of the ultra budget tyres was appalling was quite an understatement. I can't remember which mag published it or what tyres they used (although Continental and GoodYear were the good brands in the premium section, that I can recall), but put it this way, they used a standard Golf and one of the Asian budget brand tyres actually completely disintegrated during a higher speed handing/ cornering test, and the wet stopping distance (remember these are new tyres) of the worst performing tyre had a stopping distance that was DOUBLE that of the best performing tyre at 70mph.

How these cheap imports are even legal beats me, but they are such a false economy to my mind. I'm sorry I can't remember where this review was published.

Okay, the problem just got worse.. the ABS light is now turning on, along with the 3-beep warning, and the handbrake symbol on the central display, the ASR symbol turns on as well. As the car now has the 'slippery wheel' symptom only in 2nd gear, I have started experiencing non-responsive brakes, and the pedal feels bumpy when I brake. The worst part is that the car started accelerating on its own in 4th gear!! I had my feet off any pedals, and I HAD to overtake someone just because I couldn't stop it. I'm getting it serviced again tomorrow(just took it out 2 days ago..). The service people don't really appear to have a clue about what's going on, so I'm thinking maybe I could get professional advice here..Thanks.

Crikey!
First thing is to get a diagnostic and pull the error codes which will definitely have been logged with those warning lights coming up.

Maybe an ABS wheel speed sensor is on the blink? Or it could be one of the other sensors related to the traction control, eg. the yaw sensor or steering angle sensor. Fault codes will help.

Back