Smelly A2!

A22B

Hi all,

My wife is complaining that when she gets in her A2 and starts it up the fans are smelly! I think this is the Air con with condensation etc...

Can anyone advise on what to do?

Thanks

Paul

Air Freshener clipped onto the air vent!

when it is re-gassed from memory they use some kind of fragrance through the pipes to freshen up the system.

It smelt nice for a few days

ok, so take the statement
when it is re-gassed from memory they use some kind of fragrance through the pipes to freshen up the system.
and think it through. You really, really think so? How can this work?

Air "freshener" does not resolve the cause, it merely eases the symptoms.

Since this just came up elsewhere with real information , I'll explain a little more.

The *drier*, if it has an issue inside (i.e it's got mould) may be cleaned. The climate pipes themselves are not exposed to humans, it's a closed system.

The smell after disinfection is the substance used to clean the drier. However, the pollen filter is the easy way out and it's about 1/4 of the price. They'll also want to change it anyway, if they're worth their salt, so do it first.

You should be changing pollen filters every year or so in damp conditions like the UK.

Bret

That was it it only lasted a few days.

This problem was not my A2 it was VW Sharan. In the end I had a new drier and compressor as it was all intermittently working and that fix it. But I do remember them sanitizing the air con as I was getting that stale smell.

Darren

Thanks guys, I will change the pollen filter and see if it improves. Just bought on on the bay, £9. This will hopefully improve the stinker!

thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Spike. This forum is the best A2 resource. :)

Will post back with findings once it is fitted.

I would reccomend using commas Air conditioning cleaner.

From memory, you out this behind the passenger seat, turn on air con, and canister, and leave the car for about 10 mins. It does the job. Also check the pollen filter, but from my experiences, the can does the job - about £10

I would reccomend using commas Air conditioning cleaner.

From memory, you out this behind the passenger seat, turn on air con, and canister, and leave the car for about 10 mins. It does the job. Also check the pollen filter, but from my experiences, the can does the job - about £10

Bought a couple of these,different make, from the local £ shop for ... £1 each :) (Poundworld I think ?) Got them for my sons Pug 206 as he used to smoke in it.

I will try the pollen filter first, then if that fails then I will unleash the air con bomb!

Don't forget to put the air-con into recircular mode throughout this process to keep the chemical within the car. Otherwise the chemical from the canister will simply be blow out of the car within a couple of minutes.

Back