Smoke / Steam seen compressor spins down

Status
Not open for further replies.

psampson

At the weekend, after having returned home from shopping, I noticed that there appeared to be smoke or some sort of vapour coming out from beneath the front bumper, where the compressor sits.

I've noticed that vapour comes out from this area, when warming the car up in the morning. However, I've never seen this happen once the car is warm/hot. I had switched the car off, gone inside, with a couple of bags of shopping, then gone back to lock the car.

The compressor was still running, but starting to spin down, when I noticed the smoke/steam. Naturally I was scrabbling around under the car immediately, but couldn't see any obvious leaks/fluid.

The car seemed to be OK (Sunday). The A/C is switched on permanently, to avoid any blockages/nasty smells, and seems to work OK.

Are there known issues with the compressor packing up or has anyone
experienced something similar?

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul

If your car is a TDI then the smoke/steam is from the webasto diesel powered heater, which automaticlly switches on below 5c. Sometimes when I start my car in the morning it looks like something off a sci fi film. The compressor switches off below 5c to avoid damage caused
by frost. The heater is excellent as diesel powered cars take forever
to heat up so the additional heater provides heat straight away.

If your car is petrol powered forget everything I've said.

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

RTV,

True, it's the webasto heater. Sometimes it puff a little smoke. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Sometimes it even let's out a big cloud of white smoke, that's some unburned diesel leaking into the hot exhaust. That's normal too, according to the webasto dealer. The whole unit is fully TUV certified and is loaded with sensors.

If it's a petrol car, I would worry !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Many thanks for the replies. You have put my mind at ease. I had visions of my TDi going up in a ball of flames!

Mind you, this is the 2nd TDi we've had, and due to the timing of replacements, we've never had to pay the road tax in nearly two years, so it would have been good timing if it had gone up. :D <- for any insurers reading this.

Anyway, got my VED demand through today, and what a nice supprise, only 80 quid. Shame you can't get LPG powered A2s...

Thanks,
Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back