Smoking in the morning

vkx245l

A2OC Donor
I've just returned from a trip to Scotland and drove home to Exeter at a reasonable speed on Sunday night. Now when the car is started from cold it smokes like an old tractor and feels very rough (if it didn't have so few cylinders i'd say it wasn't firing on one of them). Drive away and all becomes normal! Any ideas? Its a 75 tdi with 55k miles, & 8600 miles to next LongLife service.

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi The only thing I can think it might be could be the injectors on start up are not spraying correctly ,but at 55k they should not need reconditioning.
regards
Malcolm

Hi Jonathan
It may be a faulty engine sensor. Do you know anyone with VagCom who would do a cheap diagnostic check ?

Cheers Spike

Thanks Guys

Might try some injector cleaner in the next tank full incase it was a dodgy fill up on the way home.

I've got Vagcom but nothing comes up and there is no Check Engine Light.
I'll give it another pass through.

Excuse my ignorance but I was bought up with petrol engines and this is our first diesel but could it be a sticky valve (do they have valves?)

Thanks again

Jonathan

White smoke present was a symptom of my recent troubles - sounds like you might have had a dodgy tankfull on the way home. The dealer has now replaced my fuel filter and will be cleaning through the system tomorrow having diagnosed poor quality fuel.

I suspect that these problems may become more common, as smaller filling stations struggle to make ends meet.

Cheers,

Mike

Back