snapped arm that connects to the vac unit

audi Atwo

Past Member
Hi,

Was wondering if any one can help me out I have an A2 1.6 petrol an I got the engine warning light after reading up on the code I found throttle valve potentiometer vag error code so i got that and the vac unit however my stupid mechanic tried to go round the intake manifold instead of stripping down for some stupid reason??? :mad: and snapped the arm connecting to the potentiometer. :mad: is there anywhere i can get one of these? any help or advise would be most great full.

thanks

If Im right you need the vacuum unit as well, think its all one price, Part number 036129061A I believe.

Alan

Hi thanks Alan and Mike

but I did order the vac unit it did not come with it but i have two photos of the mystery part if this helps
IMG-20120317-00082.jpg
This is the better of the two. In this picture above the blue crayola is the vac arm. The red crayola is the mystery part
IMG-20120317-00081.jpg
Here is a not so good one again the blue is the vac arm. The red line is the mystery part.

Thanks
John

Last edited:
As your pics aren't too clear can you identify the part from the attached diagm

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• FSI052.jpg
    FSI052.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 1,119
still no joy

Thanks guys,
Here is my update so far, so I went to audi in docklands as I had to get my cam kit and water pump I spoke to steve on the phone but he seemed more interested in selling the parts more than anything else I got there and showed him the pics above and he looked on his system but he said the part is not on there and wouldn't even come out to look under my bonnet? as he said that he wouldn't be able to identify the part so I guess I will have to get the part out during the cam change just would have been better to have had the part while this was being done but I will update my findings by next week.

Thanks again all

OK I have found a picture that is the part does any one know what the part outlined in red is?
A15-10086.png

audi Atwo
I have the same problem.The plastic arm is broken.
Do you have some news?

Me too, haven't been on in a while as my wife's 2003 1.6 FSI Sport has been running well. However, the CEL came on last night and it's throwing up the following codes:

17428 - Fuel Pressure Regulation Control Range Exceeded
P1020 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17412 - Torque Difference Cylinder 1 Limit Value Exceeded
P1004 - 35-00 - -
17912 - Intake Air System: Leak Detected
P1504 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18043 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from A/C Controller
P1635 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17439 - Manifold Change-Over Valve (N136): Setpoint Not Reached
P1031 - 35-00 - -

I did a search on the forum and am guessing that the main cause of my problem is related to the manifold intake flap. I had a look this evening and the arm from the vacuum actuator is broken.
Would I be safe in assuming that the potentiometer is also knackered?

It looks like a very big job to remove the intake manifold to get at the potentiometer. I had a look around, but there's no much details on the steps involved.

Must be something in the air.. I have the same issue.. Going to take a look at the weekend to see exactly what has gone

Got a quote from and independent to replace entire intake warts and all for £750.... So be prepared

OK I have found a picture that is the part does any one know what the part outlined in red is?
View attachment 9021

I haven't actually taken it apart, but my understanding is what you have ringed in red is part of the potentiometer (the flap mechanism). That's what the vacuum actuator bolts onto and moves the flap. I've read up a bit and you need to buy the full actuator and/or potentiometer depending on the extent of the problem.

Alan is correct with the part number. It's called a vacuum actuator and the lever is part of the vac unit and not available seperate.
The lastest price for the part is £75.18 before VAT. I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace though.
When you go to Audi ask them to check on illustration 133-05.
Hope this helps

blue skies
tony

If Im right you need the vacuum unit as well, think its all one price, Part number 036129061A I believe.

Alan

Yeap - My air intake has gone as well.... awaiting Audi for full diagnostic but it looks like its a hell of a job to replace everything so I am prepared for a heavy bill. I might get a independent to do the work as Audi are doing the investigation work for free after servicing my car, not stamping the service book and telling me my car was being cleaned and ready to collect, only to turn up and find out that it was still dirty and not ready to collect. ******s..

An update. I decided to give the DIY a miss and asked my local mechanic to do the job. I ordered a new actuator, potentiometer and intake manifold gasket which were provided to the mechanic. When he dismantled the car, he found that the plastic bar between the actuator and potentiometer was broken. This plastic bar is built into the manifold and can't be bought separately. There are two parts to the intake manifold, the large part that you see at the rear top of the engine and a narrower part that bolts on to the cylinder head. It's the part the bolts on to the cylinder head that's the problem. It costs €340 + VAT. The new manifold that was ordered came damaged. The plastic bar that connects the actuator and potentiometer was broken. It obviously got a knock which shows how fragile it is.

As you can guess, this job isn't going too well.

BTW, the potentiometer can be removed from the manifold without removing the manifold itself. This requires removing the timing belt. As the timing belt is due next year, it makes sense to get this done at the same time.

I'm dreading the bill.

Ahh so im not alone on this then after all

Ok so I can now confirm what I thought which is I need a new lower intake manifold im still searching as it seems that this part is very very rare to come by ( been looking for up to 6 months now:eek:) I had the cam change last month and my mechanic couldn't find a part number as well he is asking me to leave it with him to strip down and try and repair, not to sure on that though I think I will wait untill a manifold magically pops up some how also what did you end up doing ken and was it expensive:confused:

Got the car back on Friday. The total bill was just under €1,200 (that's Euro) from an independent. This is on top of €209 for the new actuator, potentiometer and gaskets that I got from an Audi dealer.

The manifold needed to be replaced which came to a whopping €340 + VAT. These can be ordered easily from a VW or Audi dealer. I didn't try the second hand market.

He took the timing belt off to allow for easier access and it made sense to do that at the time as it needed doing next year anyway. He also noticed that the pipe running from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve also had a hole in it. That was another €140 + VAT. That's another common problem on the 1.6 FSI.

Just as he was finishing up and had the car running again, the top radiator hose started leaking. He managed to cut a bit off and do a temporary job, but that needs to be replaced also. No doubt another €50 + VAT. As a car gets older, the hoses get brittle and don't take kindly to being pulled around. Obviously the work brought out a crack.

I hope that's it for the A2 for another while. I hadn't budgeted on spending almost €1,400 on it.

Oouch! and thanks for the reply ken that's the sort of bill I am trying to avoid but it looks inevitable

thanks again
John

Back